If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam on the Met 1999

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by MellishR, Aug 2, 2014.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Yesterday, having finally had a problem sorted out that had prevented my computer talking to my old digital 8 camcorder, I made a start on capturing videos made on my even older video 8 one. The first tape included some clips from Steam on the Met 1999, when there were FOUR steam locos in operation, plus Sarah and a diesel, on two trains. Each day started with both trains setting off simultaneously from Harrow on the Hill and taking turns to overtake each other until they diverged at Watford South Jn, one running to Watford and the other to Amersham. Then they shuttled between Watford and Amersham for the rest of day.

I've assembled some clips of the parallel running. I don't know how to embed a video here, but it can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/mellishr/14780423686/in/photostream/. The quality isn't wonderful, but it's good enough to show what was going on. In the clip taken at Pinner, one train is almost completely hidden behind the other. Does a steam train coming in front of another one count as getting "bowled"?