If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam Paths through Reading during rebuilding

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Spamcan55, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Spamcan55

Spamcan55 New Member

Ex-Spamcan 55
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As Reading appears to be quite a bottleneck these days, are there likely to be any knock-on effects for steam during the forthcoming rebuilding projects? I know its supposed to be Open Access these days, but is it likely that specials could be 'discouraged' while such major work is carried out? I'm hoping that there isn't going to be a steam famine over Savernake.

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    But what is the line capacity after rebuilding??

Is the new layout as capable of taking traffic?

That's a damn sight more important than the temporary position

3. Spamcan55

Spamcan55 New Member

Ex-Spamcan 55
    Agreed, the outcome of the rebuilding is important. Not being a professional railwayman I'm not in a position to judge just by looking at some track plans (assuming they are publicly available) without the informed knowledge of others. I'm curious so I thought I'd ask the question.

4. 60525

60525 Member

5. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

As the rebuilding is about removing conflicts and adding more platforms, increasing overall capacity, then surely it can only help steam. Crossrail however seems likely to be a much bigger issue for steam out of Paddington - the slow lines are going to be very full!

Chris

6. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

It would make things easier in the long term granted, but short term while rebuilding is going on there's likely to be a short term reduction in paths and capacity, this short term reduction is the potential headache.

7. arthur maunsell

arthur maunsell Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    hence the title of the thread no doubt \:D/

I must visit Reading General this summer before they ruin it altogether....i spent half my teenage years on those platforms...

8. david1984

I suppose likely effect is steam on certain tours will have to come on at Didcot or Newbury or avoid Reading if possible.

9. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    At 6024 AGM last year we had a talk from a guy from EWS as it was then, who,I think was involved or even top-man in the train planning for EWS.His message regarding ANY specials along the GWML out of Paddington was "forget it"..............

10. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Although it still involves Reading Station, a lot of steam specials use the Southern line to Reading & join the WR at New Junction. At least it doesn't involve the busy WR main line from Paddington with Crossrail etc.

11. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    If I remember right the plans involve flyovers at the west end of Reading to stop trains crossing the whole layout thus blocking all lines.That work will affect trains arriving via New Jnc and going west.The guy doing the talk seemed pretty sure it would be chaos around Reading for quite a while.

12. Spamcan55

Spamcan55 New Member

Ex-Spamcan 55
    35028 should make plenty of noise climbing past Porton on the VSOE if they have to reroute back from Bristol via Salisbury.....

13. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    I was at the same presentation as Nick,I seem to recollect that charters through Reading would be a no no whilst the re-modeling was taking place, I also seem to remember that that the gradient over the flyovers would be difficult for steam being about 1 in 30. Colin.

14. david1984

I presume there must be routes that can be set that don't involve using the flyover if it is that steep, i know steam doesn't come into the thinking when planning these things but that's hardley ideal for a heavy freight either, reading comments elsewhere about this, they seem to be under the impression the ruling flyover gradients will be nearer 1 in 100.

As for Paddington, Paths in and out of there are hard enough to come by as it is anyway so no big difference, my main concern about that stretch is how will WCRC be affected by access in/out of Southall (OOC will be history by then :( ).

15. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

Hither Green might become the new Southall. Turntable, good facilities...
    The flyover/s at the west end of Reading are primarily for the container trains that use the west curve at the moment. The reinstatement of the goods lines from the Southern side under the GWML to what is at the moment, the goods avoiding line round the back of platform 9.

16. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    I've heard the first major possessions at Reading are being planned for Christmas 2010. I would guess all lines will be blocked 25th & 26th with 2 lines only open and a reduced service on 27th & 28th which are bank holidays.

Looking at the diagrams on the web site - the main lines will be on the new flyover which will pass over the west curve and new east chord. That would keep freights (particularly mendip aggregates) on the level and avoid conflicting moves with down and up ML fast services. When it's finished I think there will be more capacity due to a reduction in conflicting movements on flat junctions.

Regards, Neil