If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Steam West of Yeovil

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by ChrisP, Jun 1, 2009.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP New Member

15 years in construction management, work for Huns
    I see from the schedules that Tangmere is due to Exeter on 5th July.

I think it is worth drawing everyone's attention to the fact that after December this year (assuming the works are complete) when the new SWT hourly service to Waterloo comes in, there will almost certainly NO PATHS for steam at all west of Yeovil - even on Sundays. There is also significant engineering possessions booked for numerous weekends over the summer (theer was a 52 hour one this weekend - see item about Axminster Gates Box in other section.)

Next year will be the 150th anniversary of opening the line through to Exeter - does anyone know of anyone planning any more trips over the summer because they had better get their skates on. I guess the only prospect of steam west of Yeovil next year is to agree some kind of Plandampf operation if SWT will show interest!

Regards

2. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

At the moment, there is one other steam trip west of Yeovil in the diary: Steam Dreams, London - Salisbury - Yeovil - Exeter, Sun 13th Sept, loco TBA (70013, 60163 and 34067 are all in the London area around that time and appear uncommited that Sunday).

What is the work that is going on at the moment? Is this the doubling of the Axminster - Chard Junction section? I was expecting that this work would improve the situation for steam tours, rather like the doubling of the Oxford - Worcester line from Moreton In Marsh to Evesham that is just starting.

3. ChrisP

ChrisP New Member

15 years in construction management, work for Huns

The work is to install a 3mile long loop around Axminster - the turnout at the Up end will be just short of Axe Crossing and the down end will be half-way up the hill to Seaton Junc.
    Unfortunately the new timetable will be so tight that there will not be any spare paths - in fact it is even tight for the proposed timetable, which will run 7 days a week I understand!

Regards