If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Super Power

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by olly5764, Jun 15, 2007.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The light engine moves between Bewdley and Kidderminster often get used to move stock between those two stations, leading to some interesting combinations.
    Over the years, we have seen 5764 and 7714, double heading a 6 coach GWR set, 2968 on two ballast wagons and a brake, 5164 dragging a dead DMU, but far and away, surely the record for the most over kill on a light train, must go to a move a few weeks ago, GWR goods brake number 68501 top and tailed with 7802 on the front, and 5164 on the back, One brake van at 20 tons, with two locos and a total tractive effort of 51,640 lb tractive effort!
    Before anyone pounces on me, and informs me that there must have been some operational reason for it, there was, I know this first hand as I was involved, but it was quite amusing to see!

2. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    This wasn't an uncommon formation in BR days, a brake sandwiched between two locos.

3. littlenobby

littlenobby Well-Known Member

student (6th form) Part time job at the Co-op!
    that was the day i didnt have my camera... but did look very nice, i think the time where Bradley manor shunted Hinton manor with 2 brake vans and the BR mineral wagon looked quite good as well.

2 weeks ago 6024 and 46443 had to be shunted from platform 3 to the pit via the pit twice to pick up 5164... all done with 4566 and so the final line up of the king sandwiched by 2 praries and the ivatt tagged on the back looked quite good. especially from my vantage point as i was riding te handbrake on 6024!

4. Phil K

Phil K Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I traveled on a train in similar circumstances on the MHR once.

73096 and Bodmin were in steam in the yard, being prepped for a trip round the Woking / Guildofrd /Aldershot triangle for turning. Meanwhile Dad and myself waiting on the up Platform at Ropley for 41312 to arrive with its train.

41312 brought in its 4 car train, and we boarded, but then 73096 and Bodmin ran through the down platform, and were attached to the rear. So we had 41312 at the front, 4 MK1's and at the rear banking us up the climb to M&4M were the 5 and Bodmin, in full cry.

5. JAmieNWR

JAmieNWR New Member

Not as good on the trip back from Alton phil.
    Because me and my dad had 73096 and Bodmin just return from turning at Guilford.
    On the front we had 73096, Bodmin, 41312 on a four coach train and 73096 had Mr p. Kirk driving hich was quite nice.

6. oct36tofeb58

oct36tofeb58 Member

On the GCR they had the following on the first train out one Saturday: - 60532, 61264, 48306 and 75029. A similar combination worked into Loughborough on a freight the previous evening. On the stock movement they also had an 08 on the front. I have them on tape. If I can find it I'll put them on Youtube but there will be no sound something wrong with the camera.

7. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Here is the trip you are talking about...............
    [attachment=0:20v4dkzy]tripleheader1.jpg[/attachment:20v4dkzy]

I was simply waiting around for the last train of the day and was surprised by this!

8. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Giants of Steam this year had as the first move of the weekend the LNWR observation carriage double headed by 34007 and 34028. I believe a diesel fan would say "Hellfire!" or similar at that. Theres a phot of the move in this months HR

9. JAmieNWR

JAmieNWR New Member

WOW, Thanks Green five, brings all the memory's of that surprise back, one thing I wont forget is we left on 41312 2 mins after 73096 and Bodmin left to turn, but the were back at Alton waiting for us to arrive,
    Where abouts was that pic taken? Is that on the approach to Ropley?
    That's twice I've been caught on the Mid Hants on film, the first time was behind 92 Squadron, on the first day of her running there.[attachment=0:1lymza1s]me behind 92 squadren.jpg[/attachment:1lymza1s] That's me directly behind 92 holding a video camera.

10. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

The picture was taken about half-way between Medstead and Ropley. Sorry for the quality. It's not a very good scan I'm afraid.

11. JAmieNWR

JAmieNWR New Member

It's amazing to think how much that little area has changed since that pic was taken, and atlease someone got a shot of that "special".
    I bet you could hear the locos pulling out of Alton as it sounded like they all liked the regulator (execpt for the driver of 41312 untill butts junction)
    I would love to have a re-run of the triple header once again, or the 9 coach "time trials"

12. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    How about 34081, 30053 and '30075' on 2 coaches at Swanage in July, does that count?

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Best double header I have witnessed on the Strathspey was in 2006 when we had 3440 visiting for the summer.

Our hired in Austerity, '68030' needed to take coal at Boat of Garten one evening as it was to be used the following day so it was attached to the last train north at the end of the day at Aviemore, which 3440 was hauling. The pair passed the shed with the Austerity leading; the contrast in coupling rod rotations was quite something! Not sure the ratio but '68030' was making a few more revolutions compared to 3440!