If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR Locos

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by JBTEvans, Jul 5, 2009.

1. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Does anybody know when 5764, 7714 and 5164 finish their 10 year boiler ticket?

What way do all the current SVR operational steam fleet face at the present time?

2. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    7714, 5764, 7812, 5164 face Kidderminster

46443, 42968, 7802, 4566? face Bridgnorth

5164 returned to operation in May 2004, i've read many times that 7714 is nearing the end of her ticket and is possible she could be withdrawn at any time, no idea with 5764.

3. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

No details in front of me but from memory:

7714 - unlikley to be in service beyond 2009
    5764 - still a year or two to go
    5164 - about 5 years in & currently receiving intermediate mechanical attention

There is no such thing as a 10 year cert though (despite what you read in steam beano etc).
    Newly cerified locos are normally passed for 7 years subject to annual exam etc & any time beyond that is purely at insurance co discretion based on condition.

Quite often intensively used locos do not make the full 10 years.

The SVR website gives details re which way locos face (normally changed periodically to even out tyre wear) - but it is possible that a particular loco may be turned at KDR short term for other reasons such as filming.

4. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

The website doesn't seem correct though unless locos have been turned since last weekend?

Last week the Manors, 42968 & 7714 faced the opposite to what the website says. Then again it does say June at the top, perhaps that was posted at the beginning of that month?

5. Matt2284

Matt2284 New Member

The SVR website never seems to get updated on which way the locos are facing and is usually wrong. 42968 hasn't been facing South for a couple of years now #-o but they never seem to change it!!

6. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Just as a footnote, a spare Pannier boiler is being worked on at Bridgnorth, and I think would be destined for 7714 when its current boiler--now in the ninth year of the current ticket--expires.

I think it was 7714 that had much work carried out on the crank axle not too long ago, so may be in reasonable order in the running gear department.

There was a possible plan to put the Hawksworth Pannier, no. 1501 through the works for a quickie, but I think that has been dropped since the engine was examined in detail. I stand corrected if that is not so. This loco had new tyres and overhauled boxes a few years before withdrawal, so is mainly boiler work.

Otherwise the next major overhaul to be started should be the Standard 4, 75069. Stripping down has started.

...And the out of ticket SVR locomotive thought by some to be in the best overall condition? -- 4930 "Hagley Hall".

(The above is not from "official" sources, just gleaned from reading the SVR News recent issues.)