If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SVR wagons 2012

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by olly5764, Jan 15, 2012.

1. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Happy new year folks, here we go again!
    I see last year's thread had nearly 9000 views! many thankls to my regular (and irregular) readers, the popularity of this subject always surprises me.
    Last year, one or two operating issues prevented us from turning out any wagons, hopefully this year will see some more rapid progress.
    Lets start out in the yard. The keen eyed ones of you will have noticed 1935 built Gane A 60841 outside of the carridge works. Owing to lack of space and the time constraints on this wagon, this isn't being done by us, but is being done by the carridge works, so forgive me for being sketcky on details of the work on this one, but she is in for a new floor and other light repairs.
    Moving onto our own projects, 1899 built chaired sleeper wagon 40554 is still moving forward, Richard repairing the stancion brackets one by one, hopefully we will soon be able to get a big enough gang to rivet the floor back in, this will be an interesting job, owing to the lack of ground clearence.
    Inside the shed, Oxfit (Cattle wagon) 891054, is nearing completion, needing just sign writing and odd details, the lable clips were refitted this weekend, and the missing divited clip has been made, just in need of fitting.
    1925 built Mica B number 105873 has now got a new roof canvass, with the new ice hatch lids being made this weekend, hopefully the frames of these should be made soon to go on the roof. The roof its self has had it second coat of paint, poor Mark, after 9 years on the department, finally got to paint a canvass, only to see what we all meant by it absorbing the paint, as he arrived on saturday, and had to ask and double check weather or not he had put a coat of paint on it the week before, as it had soaked up the paint and linseed oil mix to such an extent, the canvass looked like it hadn't been touched!
    Finally, all that is left is to wish everyone all the best for 2012, I wish you all everything you wish for yourselves.
    Olly

2. olly5764

Engineer
    The three wagons that are in the works at the moment are in that annoying state of all being "Nearly done" which is why I appear to be saying the same thing over and over, however, the south end of the Mica B got a flat down and undercoat, while the roof got its third coat of paint, which hopefully should be dry by next weekend. The reason this takes so long is owing to the fact that the paint for the roof needs to be mixed with linseed oil to make it flexiable enough, with the result that it takes a long time for each coat to dry.
    The Cattle wagon had some touching in done, now she is waiting for Lettering out and some minor work on one door.
    Will up date you all again next week
    Regards Olly

3. olly5764

Engineer
    This week, the Mica B has had another coat of paint on the roof, and so is finally starting to look white, meaning the paint is starting to go onto the canvass rather than soak into it! She has also had new Ice hatch lids fitted to her, and the last of the screw heads that were once exposed, covered in stopper ready to take paint.
    40554 has had more new stanchion brackets made and the new chain pockets painted (although they still need to be cut and fitted but we thought a coat of primer would be benificial)
    The cattle wagon has had the jammed steam heat valve on the South end of the wagon freed off, and some paint work touched in on the frames, with Steve adding the sign writing. The keen eyed of you will notice that owing to some energetic work today, the Cattle wagon has moved from inside the goods shed, to the other side of 80982 and 40554 into the open air in the down yard, energetic? Well, we don't have a loco at Bewdley at the moment, so well done lads, good effort! That's saved a trip to the gym!
    Take Care, Olly

4. D1039

D1039 Guest

I'm surprised it was warm enough to paint! I've some painting to do at Bridgnorth so checked the forecast - it was 4C, which I thought was too cold to apply paint. It's 100 miles each way from home, which is a long way to find out you can't do it!

Thanks for the reports Olly

Patrick

5. olly5764

Engineer
    The Mica is being done in the goods shed with the heater on it, while the Cattle wagon only needed touching in on the coupleings and so on, so they hardly need to be a quality finish.

6. D1039

D1039 Guest

March 23-25 Spring Steam Gala -

"...The Siphon G is out for a play, as is the newly restored cattle wagon on the end of passenger trains....subject to the usual disclaimers, if something fails/changes/doesn't appear then there's not alot we can do about it..."

SVR-Online Forum :: View topic - SVR Spring Gala 2012

Patrick

7. olly5764

Engineer
    this is a bit premature, the cattle wagon hasn't had her mechanical exam yet so isn't even in traffic!

8. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Who remembers the Glory Days when we had a "Heavy Horse Weekend" and the Cattle Waggon did duty as a stable?

9. olly5764

Engineer
    Nope, I remember cleaning the wagon out though, and doing a pads exam and finding the axle boxes full of horse dung!

10. michaelh

Notwithstanding you playing with the pads, it's a pity we don't still have a "Heavy Horse Weekend"

11. olly5764

Engineer
    The last couple of weeks of cold weather has reduced things to somewhat of a crawl, but the Mica B has recived her 5th coat of roof paint. The sides of the wagon have had more filler appied where needed, and the place has had a torough tidy up!

12. olly5764

Engineer
    Well, this weekend, the Mica B got her final coat of paint on the roof, and some flatting down work on her north end. The weather prevented work on the cattle wagon and 40554, so the goods shed office benifitted from a good sweep up this time!
    Following a number of security issues , I have to make a small request, While people are welcome to visit us when the yard is open, can i ask that people only enter the yard when the big double gates are open, or by invite. It is a sad reflection on the society we live in, many thanks for the co-operation. Olly

13. olly5764

Engineer
    This weeks activities have centred loosely on the cattle wagon. She has had her pads exam, and some attention to the brake gear, and touching in of paint on the frames. She has recieved two new vacuum bags and associated rubbers. the fun started when we tried to carry out a brake test! The brake exhauster wouldn't start, the elderly villiers engine resisting all attempts to make it start, there then followed a fairly extensive service and clean out!
    Work on 40554 has continued with Richard making progress on the brackets for the uprights. This is another slow process, as each pocket needing the corroded steel cutting away, and new steel welding in. The next stage will be to rivet the whole lot back together!
    Hope to see a few of you at the gala!
    Ian

14. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    How is the Cattle Wagon coming on then?

15. olly5764

Engineer
    Not as quickly as we would like!

16. michaelh

Paint was being applied to said wagon in the glorious sunshine on Saturday afternoon when I was there, but there appeared to be a problem with a piece of plant alongside which had 5 or 6 attending to it - I guess this might have taken resource away from the wagon repair!

17. olly5764

Engineer
    Yes, refering you back to my last update, the villiers Brake exhauster was in need of some TLC. All i will say on the paint, is that is doesn't make em go! It is going to be tight if it makes the gala.

18. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Hope for nice weather then.

19. olly5764

Engineer
    Not a weather related problem unfortunately mate.

20. olly5764

Engineer
    This weeks efforts have been directed at getting things ready for the gala. The wagons that are expected to be in the train have had pad exams and mechanical examinations done where needed, otherwise have had oil levels topped up, with the axle boxes having accumulated a surprising ammount of water in the last few months.
    The Cattle wagon is still undergoing surgery, we are waiting for the delivery of some steel to make some replacement parts.
    Open B 102691 has bugun to get some attention, the keen eyed of you at Bewdley in the last week or two will have spotted her in the carpark with a large hole in the door. These opens may look horrendous in this condition, but they are rarely a big job, in once case, the body of a simular wagon (108085) was dismantled in 4 hours, and was rebuilt entirely over an easter weekend, even so, lets hope we don't find any horror stories.
    All the best.
    Olly