If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

SWANAGE RAILWAY - 7802 "Bradley Manor"

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by buzby2, Aug 31, 2010.

1. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

As many will know, through the assistance of both the Severn Valley Railway and Erlestoke Manor Fund, ex-Great Western Railway loco No. 7802 "Bradley Manor" is visiting the Swanage Railway.
    After SR's Grand Steam Gala (10th-12th September) it is proposed to use 7802 "Bradley Manor" on regular services for the following three days.
    Subject to the usual disclaimers of availability, etc. you should be able to travel behind the Manor on 13th, 14th and 15th Sept. at normal fares.
    Departures from Norden Park & Ride Station - follow the Brown tourist signs on the A351 (Cars are £2.00 for all day parking):
    10:30; 11:50; 13:10; 14:30; 15:50; 17:10.
    Departures from Swanage Station (right in the middle of town):
    09:50; 11:10; 12:30; 13:50; 15:10; 16:30.
    I guess the use of 6695 and 7802 during the Gala, and 7802's use during the following three days on normal services, is the Swanage Railway's contribution to GWR175 celebrations.
    Presumably Inter-Region rivalries, between SR and GWR, have been reduced to 'DeathCon2' for these five days [6695 doesn't count as it's a resident!].

2. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I've heard its to do with a swap for Manston as the Seven Valley want to bring it to their Gala later in the month.

3. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

Does an outside cylinder GWR 4-6-0 'fit' the Swanage Railway? Presumably someone has checked. Has anything similar visited before?

John

4. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

First time for an outside-cylinder GWR loco, I understand.

5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I'm sure it'll look nice parked in a siding if it doesn't fit! ;) Mind you, most of the Bulleids on the line will probably be on walkabout at that time, though as its a small incursion, I'd say it would be DEFCON 4: lock the station buildings and repel GWR-inspired door to door Brasso salesmen with high-grade motor oil from the sump of the nearest unrebuilt Bulleid...

6. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Western engines (mainly Halls and Granges) are no strangers to the area having at one time worked Southern local trains between Bournemouth and Weymouth as part of a Banbury-Basingstoke-Bournemouth-Weymouth-Swindon-Banbury turn. But did they ever go to Swanage ?

7. pinkpanther

pinkpanther New Member

Software Engineer
    As long as it doesn't breed with the green monster known to outsiders as "6695"... ;)

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Could be the track was relaid with GWR clearences in mind, it's in a preserved railways interest to be as 'gauge friendly' as possible when the line wasn't under BR ownership, woulden't want to be in the situation of a motive power shortage and only a GWR outside cylinder design that doesn't fit is availible.

9. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

just give the crew a couple of sledgehammers and a crowbar, they'll get through ;-)

10. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nah, don't worry... outside cylinders eat coping slabs (just don't stand too close first trip). Mind you, Turbo's had a similar problem when first introduced to the GW areas. That time the coping slabs ate the aluminium step!

11. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    lol :clap2:

12. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

The answer is a guaging run. Walk the loco through anywhere where clearance might be an issue. Even the SVR had to do this with its GW summer visitor, 3802, which was found to be very "tight" through a Bewdley platform road for instance, so has speed restrictions, and apparently must not be turned during its visit. Clearances change over time, so sensible to check. ( no more so than on Network Rail I suppose....)

13. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    No I do not currently volunteer
    How do you know they haven't already 'got together' when 6695 was at SVR?!?!?!?!?! LOL

14. olly5764

olly5764 Well-Known Member

Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I do recall a main line trip with Bradley, where she munched the end of the platform at Dawlish