If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Talyllyn Railway Footplate Experience

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by lewis.maddox, Jun 25, 2012.

1. lewis.maddox

lewis.maddox Member

Visitor Engagement Manager, Severn Valley Railway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'd just like to say a huge thank you to all of the Talyllyn Railway for making me and my family's visit to the railway extremely enjoyable for my 18th Birthday present of a footplate experience. I can safely say it was one of the best days of my life and can wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a footplate experience in a friendly atmosphere that is brilliant value for money and an experience that you won't forget.

Arriving at Pendre at 6.30am I was greeted and shown around the site by driving instructor Chris Parrott until the engine for the day, No. 2 Dolgoch and the Vintage Carriage set, were ready for service for the 2 return trips where i'd be on the regulator with Neil Scott as fireman. The 2 return trips were utterly fantastic with the first round trip learning the route and getting to grips with the engine, whilst the second run enabled me to put my practice, into good practice (as well as eat the excellent lunch that was provided at Aber). At every stop, the guard enabled my family to have a look round the station/halt in order to take photographs as well as to work the points and experience what it's like to be a guard - special thanks going to the Guard Paul Knapton for making my family's day most enjoyable.

The fact that I was the only participant meant I had full use of the regulator on all trips under the guidance of the driving instructor which puts this experience above all the others I have read about in my opinion and the experience has really got me wanting to volunteer, which I will hopefully fulfill in the near future. I cannot thank the railway enough for making my dream come true and I hope for many more visits in the future too!

[​IMG]
    2 Dolgoch by Teenage Steam Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    2 Dolgoch by Teenage Steam Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]

Thanks again,
    Lewis

2. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

What a fantastic post!

You've reminded me that I must try to return to the Talyllyn this Summer!

3. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I fired for Lewis on Sunday and had a very good day. Both Chris and I were very impressed with his ability on the footplate - he certainly did very well, particularly with the air brake which isn't the easiest control to master. We were lucky to have a lovely day considering that on Saturday it was pouring with rain across Mid-Wales.

Glad to hear that it was a success and you enjoyed your day out with us.

4. VolunteerCoord

VolunteerCoord New Member

Retired