If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Bluebell Railway needs YOUR support TODAY

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Axe, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    A phone call from YOU today could mean nearly £50,000 for the Bluebell Railway.

In May 2009, the Bluebell Railway entered a competitive lottery scheme entitled "The People's Millions" in the hope of securing funding to restore a 19th century coach suitably adapted for passengers with mobility difficulties. The entry has successfully made it through to the finals.

If the Bluebell is successfull in winning the competition, the funding would enable the railway to restore the derelict 4-wheel London, Chatham & Dover Railway brake second carriage No.51 built in 1889 (currently a grounded body) as accommodation for conveying up to six wheelchairs users, with their family and friends. The coach should be in service by Christmas 2010, providing an additional 1500 spaces for wheelchair users each year on the Bluebell Railway's normal timetable.

Further information including pictures is available at the Bluebell Railway website.....
    http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/funding/2009/pm_project.html

You will also find details at "The People's Millions" website here.....
    http://www.peoplesmillions.org.uk/regions/meridian-east/projects/vintage-carriage-51-restoration

And a short promotional video is also available online here.....
    http://www.peoplesmillions.org.uk/r...rojects/vintage-carriage-51-restoration/video

Later this evening, the ITV Meridian East region (essentially Kent & Sussex) local television news programme at 6pm will include a film detailing the Bluebell's prospective project. Four other projects have already gone two-by-two on Monday and Tuesday. The runner up over the three days with the most votes will also receive a grant.

Voting for the project is TODAY (Wednesday) from 9am to Midnight. Votes may be cast by telephone from anywhere in the UK, so you can support the project no matter which part of the country you live in. Calls cost 10p from BT landlines, call charges from other networks and mobiles may vary.

Please support the Bluebell project by casting a vote on telephone 0871 626 88 51

To enable several people from the same household to cast votes, you can vote up to ten times from one number. Please cast as many votes as you feel able to do. A few seconds of your time today could see another 4-wheeled 19th century carriage back in service, allowing wheelchair users to travel in the railway's Victorian heritage train.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Chris

2. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

Just voted, very easy. Call the number and the answer machine just says that your vote for Bluebell carriage 51 has been counted. Very, Very easy

3. Axe

Axe Member

Thanks for that.

Have the other members of your household voted?

And don't forget the dog. I understand the Bluebell needs to collect at least 5,000 votes.

Chris

4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I have posted on a popular flickr group, I hope posting in as many places as possible and getting the word out should help a bit.

5. BGSTEAM

BGSTEAM New Member

Logistics Systems Manager for Honda UK
    I have just voted from work. i see the Mid Hants website is also promoting this project and it makes clear that up to ten votes will be counted from each phone line so when i get home the rest of the family will vote plus the 4 cats.

Regards
    Brian Gillman

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I just made this call, from Abu Dhabi ! (does that make me furthest away ?)

Funny thing is when you dial international the number is strangely steamy one..: (+) 44871 - 626 88 51.

7. Axe

Axe Member

I would thank everyone who has thus far voted for the Bluebell Railway project.

To those of you who haven't, I would remind you of the telephone number you need to phone to cast your vote(s).....

0871 626 88 51

The phone lines close at 12 midnight. Calls cost 10p from BT landlines, call charges from other networks and mobiles may vary. A few seconds of your time this evening could see another 19th century 4-wheeled carriage back in service, and offering wheelchair users the opportunity to experience travel in a 4-wheeled coach formed within the railway's Victorian heritage train.

Chris

8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    20 votes from me so far, 10 on the landline and 10 on the mobile. If I can find my old PAYG handset I'll send another 10 for good measure.

9. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    10 on the land line, 10 on my mobile, 10 on Mum's, one from Dad at work. Time to put a post on Facebook :)

Regards,

Dan

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

ive made this thread sticky so it stays at the top of the list.

11. pjm

pjm New Member

Train Planner, Network Rail
    voted about 20 time hope it help and i like the Victorian set.

12. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Is it a "winner takes all" situation, or do the "runners-up" get a share of the money as well?

13. Axe

Axe Member

My understanding is that it's a "winner takes all" situation, but the runner-up (determined presumably from the number of votes each received) from the three losing votes on Monday, Tuesday and yesterday, will also receive a grant. How much money the runner-up will receive, I've no idea.

Please note that voting is over and phone lines are now closed. We now have to wait until 6pm this evening to learn the result of yesterday's phone vote.

Chris

14. Axe

Axe Member

The Bluebell Railway WON the funding in yesterday's phone vote that it needs to restore the derelict 4-wheel LC&DR brake second carriage No.51. Therefore by Christmas next year, the railway should be able to offer wheelchair users a comfortable and nostalgic ride aboard the railway's Victorian heritage train.

To everyone who has made this possible by voting for the Bluebell, I say........

[​IMG]

And finally, thanks also go to Admin and the Moderators for allowing use of this forum for the purpose of promoting the project.

Chris

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Well Done !

looking forwards to seeing this on a train to East Grinstead soon :0)

16. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Sorry but I did my calling from Angola! (though on a company intranet system which would have appeared as a UK number)

Nice to feel that something positive came with the assistance of this forum, makes a pleasant change from the usual bickering!

17. 50002

50002 Member

Great news, I only voted once but every little helps.