If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Cambrian 2010

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by twr12, Jul 23, 2010.

1. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Well; the new kid on the Cambrian - 44871, together with usual suspect 33207 and the mk2 air brake coaches, arrived safely at Mach this afternoon.

I hope this new thread will not get locked for threatened legal action, like the previous Cambrian one did!

2. phil.sez

phil.sez Member

3. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looking forward to getting out a few times next month to photograph it. I've got next Thursday pencilled in some where near Llwyngwrill for my first attempt.

4. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Can't wait to get down on Monday morning too. Really looking forward to next week. Hopefully we'll get some decent weather!

5. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
    No I do not currently volunteer
  6. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Photographic Printer @ Stourport Photo Centre
    I know the Cambrians havent begun yet but im thinking about going out to see the stock returning home from Mach, any idea whether 44871 will be leading or dead on rear? any info much appreciated :) also any good photography positions between Mach and Shrewsbury?

7. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
    Dead at the rear! Nowhere to turn the train I'm Afraid. My shots were taken from Sale lane Buttington. From the other end of the field on the right in my photo would be a good bet. There is a public footpath across the field too!
    All the best.....
    http://rickeborallphotography.fotopic.net/

8. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Really liked the first one of those 3 Rick, nice shot.

9. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Ok cheers for the info Rick.E much appreciated! saves a wasted trip to Tallerdigg to see it being dragged!

10. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

44871 won't be "dead on the rear" as it will have to be in steam for lubrication purposes firstly and then once it gets back to Shrewsbury it will then take the train north so it will be doing something at the back.

11. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
  12. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Ok Cheers for the info! might see about going somewhere north of Shrewsbury, good photting places?

13. the-gog

the-gog Member

14. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Think i will be going to see the return from Mach having recieved some information for the return working :)

15. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Looking forward to having a ride on this on Monday, especially as we missed out last year. Will also be my first trip right top the buffer stops having only gone to Porthmadog in previous years. This really is a special line and good value in terms of scenery and tight performance.

16. the-gog

the-gog Member

Not quite. It's been blocked off from one end since years and the other end might be a bit difficult as well. The barbed wire over the gate isn't encouraging.

17. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    As a farm owner myself - I can't stand the "keep orf moy laand" brigade

If its a definitive public footpath, take a set of fencing pliers and re-open the damn thing. Not that I'm inciting letting livestock loose - but blocking footpaths is illegal

18. the-gog

the-gog Member

You'd have your work cut out around here Frank! An awful lot of them are blocked off in one form or another. One in Buttington goes through what is now an Amazonian rain forest down to where it crosses the railway, and its path up the hill goes through someone's carefully manicured garden. I haven't been down Sale Lane since I snapped the 97/3s on the radio survey train in January:

http://railphotos.demeseo.com/p63028197.html

I'll have to take a look at what the fences are like these days, but where it crosses the railway, last time I looked a rather large tree blocked it off.

Generally speaking, Welsh farmers and landowners seem to be the worst of the lot when it comes to rambling across their land, even on public footpaths. And I saw that as a true Welshman. An acquaintance of mine was walking around Arthog on such a public footpath with her dog on a lead, only to be greeted by the farmer pointing his shotgun straight at her. He only put it down when she threatened to call the police.

We're getting a bit off topic here. How did today go? Anyone got any photos or videos?

Richard

19. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Looked loverly today! 8 coaches behind her, seemed to be going ok only got Internet access on my iPhone so all my photos / videos will have to wait for Friday :p

20. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Had a great run behind her today, didn't think there were many things noisier than a black 5 but 44871 is certainly quieter than the pocket rocket, though she wasn't unduly taxed with the 8 coach load. 8 coaches was also very optimistic for the anticipated passenger loadings, this train was at best 50% full and quite empty leaving Mac, a few more got on at Tywyn and Barmouth. There wasn't a great deal of advertising at any of the stations and I can only hope loadings will pick up once people see the train operating. This reallly is a fantastic run and the scenery rivals anything in the world, though must admit Pwllheli isn't the destination Portmadoc is. Judging my the mass exodus at Port a few others agreed!
    Performance wise the loco was handled superbly throughout with much running in the high 40's / 50 mph mark on the outward and low to mid 40's on the return (tender first). Max was 54mph (Pen y chain) outward and 47mph on return. The loco was dismissive of all banks and didn't even slip restarting out of Minfford. This is one finely tuned and smooth machine with a steady and powerful acceleration without being thrashed, though the driver did have a bit of fun on the final run between Dyfi Jnc and Mac! I urge everyone to support this, nearly 120 miles for just £35-bargain of the summer.