If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Erzgebirge Express - Saxon Steam and Snow February 2017

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Bean-counter, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I was part of a large Inside Track Railway Holidays party that explored the railways and other sites of Saxony in mid-February 2017. The aim was Steam and Snow and we certainly got both!

A few photographs:

Kriegslok - part of the display rolling stock at Leipzig Station

Train departing Cranzahl on the Fichtelbergbahn (complete with half of the rest of the party!)

Train arriving at Hammerunterweisenthal. (Last picture - sorry!)

Train arriving at Oberweisenthal on the Fichtelbergbahn

Loco 99 1590-1 takes water at Steinbach on the Preßnitztalbahn, plus a couple on its journey (at dusk) to Jöhstadt.

2 more Meyer locos at the Preßnitztalbahn museum/storage/workshop building (a magnificent facility)

Heritage Tram from the Chemnitz Strassenbahnmuseum.

More to follow from remainder of trip.

Steven
    DSC_0514.JPG DSC_0573.JPG DSC00395A.jpg DSC_0736.JPG DSC_0747A.jpg DSC_0757Mod.jpg DSC_0780.JPG DSC_0787.JPG DSC_0866.JPG DSC00456A.jpg

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That looks like a really great trip. I've been there several times, but not in winter - yet!

John

3. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    52 5448 is one of the few 52's which received a general repair without being rebuilt as 52.8, although they did receive the 52.8 boiler; hence the similarity to the 52.8's which survive in quantity in preservation. The former are known as 52GR (52-Generalreparatur).
    Here's 52 5448 at Falkenberg on a typical miserable East German winter's day - 16 December 1984.
    I didn't have time to move the bricks!

[​IMG]