If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The man who lives in 130 year old gwr carriage

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by davidarnold, May 14, 2012.

1. davidarnold

davidarnold Member

Is this the strangest home in Britain? The bungalow that's built around a real railway carriage | Mail Online

True story of a man who bought a cottage built over a 130 GWR railway carriage and was refused permission to remove it , so he restored it instead!

2. shedbasher

shedbasher Member

musician
  3. Matt78

Matt78 Well-Known Member

Solicitor
    I have to say that is a superb job, if we can get GWR 216 on the Gwili half as good as that I'll be well happy.

4. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Wonderful workmanship.

6. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

There is (or was) a house that has in its living room an early Tube carriage (C&SLR). This was the owner's parents house at one stage, and since then a new house has been built round it - it was the present owner's bedroom as a child. I believe it is still on its bogies - at least, it's raised up, but is boxed in round the underframe. Last I saw of it it was in good condition (and still acting as a bedroom).

I'm not at liberty to disclose the location because the owner doesn't wish it. As far as he is concerned it is his house, not an historical artefact. And in any case my last contact with him was 20 years ago now. But the carriage is completely inside and I expect that if the house is still there so is the carriage.