If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Merchant Navys, Rusty but not out...

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by JMJR1000, Aug 11, 2010.

1. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Hello!

I'm new here and I thought it would be good to start the ball rolling by discussing a picticular favourite topic of mine: The preserved Merchant Navies...

I'm aware that 35006 is not that far away from completion (great news in my opinion!) but perhaps you can tell me more. I'm particulary interested in there current situations. Do any of you have any info? Particulary there Present or there future i.e. Theory/Fact:- (what you think/know will happen to them?).

I'd also be interested in your opinion of them in general i.e. in the world of steam preservation/ Merchant Navies on preserved railways.

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  3. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I like to make a special note for the 35006 Locomotive Company Ltd, as I applaud them for their achievement (restoring a Barry wreck is a very hard and expensive, let alone a Merchant Navy). I also applaud them for the fact that they are going to achieve somthing that I (and I'm sure many others) have been hoping and waiting for, a Merchant Navy for preserved railways.

Now I am aware of many people saying that they are too big, heavy and uneconomical for most preserved railway. Now I don't deny those factors but... You also cannot deny that they are a crowd pullers, not to mention that they are nice looking locos (I think they actually look better then the rebuilt light pacifics). All I wish for is there to be at the very most a couple of them for preserved railway use, aswell as main line usage (or Both perhaps...).

If some of you are still not sure then let me give you some interesting info...

Alot of people have said the same thing about the 9Fs that came from Barry but... I think you'll find that all of them (except for 92219 & 92245 unfortunately) have a good secure future. And also I know very well that 35027 "Port Line" worked on the Bluebell Railway succesfully for several years. The same goes for No. 35005 "Canadian Pacific" aswell which worked on the Great Central Railway and then the Mid-Hants Railway succesfully (and I'm sure the fans of No. 35005 will support me there).

4. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    I Dont think you will find anything but gratitude on this forum to anyone who is prepared to work on a wreck and restores it to whatever condition as long as it prevents its further deterioration. Every one is for restoration then preservation and then hopefully Evaporation (ie steaming). I am probably in a minority that wants to go even further with a Mn (see the forum thread suggested by 60017 and also the 'restoring a MN to as built' thread) but dont have the Money to go with the Mouth. I also think that one of the Spare Parts 9F' should end up as a 2-8-2 on the mainline rather than their present fate, but have to accept that perhaps preservation has reached its Zenith ie there are more preserved locos than preserved railways can afford to/ need to steam and in order to maintain their business the most useful/ easily overhaulable machines are the ones being steamed
    I feel that there are many non unique survivors with very little hope of further life beyond parts to secure the futures of a classmates or as donors to closely related 'newbuild' projects

5. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

I suspect though that I will be a whole lot older when 35011 "General Steam Navigation" is fully restored.

6. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Well said... And I certainly don't wish to imply that I think this forum is all doom & gloom/negative, quite the opposite in fact in my oppinion. I do also love the idea of a as-built MN (35022 Holland-America Line I think would be a good candidate). Do you think you could give me a link to those 2 threads please.

But I do resent the belief of there being no place for every preserved engine out there. I think people fail to realise that the preservation movement (i.e. saving railway lines and turning them into heritage/tourist attractions) is still very active today creating new heritage/tourist railways. I can give you a number of examples: Mid Norfolk railway, Wensleydale Railway, Weardale Railway, Mid Lancashire Railway, North Dorset Railway... I can go on if you like... And I have'nt even started naming railways that have been around awhile but there devopment has been slow, but yet have big potential i.e. Swindon and Cricklade Railway and Gwili Railway.

Most of those railways above don't have much in terms of steam power. But inevitably (or potentially) will have/want it, because as I heard someone once say "steam warms the market for railways".

One thing that can't be denied is that steam locomotives are a big attraction, crowed pullers. Where ever a steam loco is i.e. at a station, siding, depot and even museums. They are liked almost universally amongst the the general british people (not just enthusiasts. And the world for that matter) and all those railways I've mentioned above will want in on the action.

Make no mistake ladies and gentlemen... the future for steam preservation is very bright... And its steamy... very steamy...

7. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    I do so hope, thanks for that injection of positivity; and no doubt each of these railways will find motive power, be it locos that are way down the restoration queues at other established railways - if they have the wherewithall to restore/ overhaul them,