If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Royal Duchy 2012

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by gwr4090, Jul 21, 2012.

1. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Times for the Royal Duchy on Sun 29/07 are now posted at t0729a.htm
    On dates when they both run, the Torbay Express (torbay.htm) will overtake the Royal Duchy at Exeter St Davids in the morning while the latter is taking water.

David

2. 44123

44123 New Member

retired
    Re: Te Royal Duchy 2012

Unfortunately for me there are no Torbays on the 29th July or 12th Aug. I am booked on 12th Aug. May have to book another in september

3. eco082007

eco082007 Member Account Suspended

Group Compensation and Benefits Advisor, Bath
    The "overtaking" thing takes place for the first time on 5 August then as no TE on the date of the 29 July inaugural RD. Also, I see the additional stop at "Dawlish" has become "Dawlish Warren". Looks like it serves as a pathing stop as well. With this and the water stop at EXD, there should be a fast path through NTA, and a good run at the banks hopefully. Just need an allocated loco now. 70013 or 70000 I guess as both these can be worked by WCRC and surely 71000 must be making her TE debut on 5 August now the LE movement issues have seen tomorrow reallocated to 70000 again.

4. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    The last steam railway had tangmere for this one is this no longer the case I'm booked on this one with my party of 6 I don't mind which loco it is just please be steam lol.

5. eco082007

Tend to agree though Tangmere seems to have become a very common sight on railtours lately.

Would be good to see 70000 and 70013 out on the same day on different railtours though it seems more likely to be 70013 and 71000 out on 5 August. Could almost consider doing some of both tours I suppose, leaving the RD at Taunton outward, joining the TE for the overtaking of the RD at EXD, leaving the TE at Paignton, followed by a move onwards to Par by service train to join the return leg of the RD. Might require some negotiating on short leg single fares but potentially good fun all the same.

6. eco082007

Looking at those times again, RTC are still advertising stops at Liskeard and Bodmin Parkway as well as Par but only passing times are shown for these two stations on the timings posted. Are these still TBA ?

7. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    Studying the times I realise that the return to btm is over a hour out the advertised times and as a result my party will have to depart the train at my hometown of Exeter st davIds as our connection was 21:45 If anyone Is intrested in running in the last 90 miles I think then contact me by pm obviously I don't want to waste steam haulage I have place for 4 adults and 2 children this is purely so the last miles don't go to waste and obviously it's free.

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Excellent, im going on hol to Paignton on 15th September, 3 tours along the sea wall in 2 days will do very nicely thankyou :)

9. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Tickets for 29th arrived this morning. Note from RTC says its going to be 70013. Should make a good noise over the Devon banks!

10. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Three of us booked on the 12th. Still wondering what will be up front but as long as it's steam we won't be complaining.

11. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Another case of the RTC website being out of date I think. The letter with the tickets indicates that the train runs non-stop from Plymouth to Par and offers a couple of bus trips to Fowey or Charlestown. Personally I would have liked a trip on the Bodmin and Wenford but their trains wouldn't have connected with the Royal Duchy anyway.

12. Spamcan81

Training moles

With no Bodmin option looks like it will be a few beers in Par to help pass the time. :)

13. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I understand that Kinlet Hall shall be involved for a segment of these trips.

14. Spamcan81

Training moles
    I'm not so sure. There was talk somewhere of the Hall being available as a pilot over the Devon Banks but if the booked trailing load does not require it, why go the the extra cost of another loco and crew? As I understand it, the trips have been designed around an unassisted Class 7 and there is certainly no mention of an assisting loco in the tour company's publicity material. A second loco on the train would certainly be a selling point so IF the Hall is to make an appearance it seems rather odd that RTC are keeping it a secret. With the first one booked for a week on sunday we'll soon find out.

15. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

I thought 4936 has a gauging issue as well at Torquay station... I was talking to someone at Reading the other day who thought the same.

James at SVN

16. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Yep, my understanding is 4936 can't get through to Newton Abbot so that idea has gone West, 4965 went to Plymouth 2 years ago so in theory Bristol - Plymouth is cleared for Halls, it's the Paignton branch that's the issue.

17. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Posted on this forum in May "She is arriving by road due to clearence issues on the Paignton branch and cost."

18. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

So that's where I heard it, thanks a lot :)

James at SVN

19. jane

jane Guest

still not recived tickets for this trip yet are any one else still waiting for them, ???

all the best
    jane.

20. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant

Yeah I'm also waiting for mine