If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The West Highlander 21-24 Sept 2013

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by camraman, Sep 11, 2013.

1. camraman

camraman Member

Retired

2. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

That's also supposed to be on the West Highlander on the Monday. Unless 62005 returns or something else comes up, the West Highlander will presumably only be running with two locos rather than three, with 61994 perhaps double heading with a Class 5 to Oban as well as doing FW - Crianlarich - Glasgow? But this would almost certainly require longer than planned servicing breaks at Crianlarich in both directions.

3. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Although 61994 went to Oban to assist 45407 in 2010 it required special permisssion to do so, since it banned from running on the Oban Line.

4. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    For what reason please ?

5. Paul42

61994 is too heavy for some of the bridges apparently. When it went to assist 45407 in 2010 it had to bank the train rather than doublehead.It was only allowed to go because there was no other option.

6. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    61994 surely looks favorite for the Mallaig run even though John Cameron is a bit cautious about using it too much due to the flange wear.

7. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    I see the RTC web site is still advertising 46115 through to FW.

8. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Yes, I think I would agree with this which would then free up Ian Riley's two Black 5's to go to Oban as planned, although only one would be able to go to Crianlarich in the Sunday evening booked path, the other would have to haul the train from Ft William to Crianlarich on the Monday morning. On the return to Crianlarich from Oban one "Five" could return to Ft William whilst the other takes the "West Highlander" to Glasgow. The "Marquess" and the "Glasgow Black 5" could then swap over one day during the following week with one five already being at the Fort to work "The Jacobite" .
    Alternatively 48151 or 45305 perhaps could be sent north simply to replace 62005, but that depends on their availability. Please though no 37's involved in pushing, we have recently had sufficient diesels involved on steam trains.
    I suppose time will tell what happens.

9. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Transferring the discussion of The West Highlander from The Jaboite's thread...

What's the limit for a solo Black 5 FW-Crianlarich-Glasgow? Not as many as the K4, I think. I would expect them both to be needed.
    Would they have enough servicing time at Oban to see them through to Glasgow, or would one or other stop at Crianlarich have to be extended to clean fires, etc? 61994 would need to work the Mallaig road on Tuesday, too, since it would be rather a tall order to expect the 5s to return to FW overnight, so the earliest the K4 would get home would be Wednesday. Would support crew be available?
    You mention 37s. Your suggestion to send one B5 to Glasgow on Monday evening, and the other back to FW for the next day's Jacobite, might work if a DL were to provide banking assistance. Would that be too high a price to pay for double-headed 5s for the rest of the day? (Your personal answer will be different from that given by WCRC or Nigel D, I'm sure ;-) )

10. Paul42

I think it is at least one coach less the K4( I have a book on the West Highland line and will look it up later).

11. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    The FW leg has certainly been done single handed in the recent past with a single B5(2 years ago) plus 2005 but northbound; and indeed the B1(south bound) and of course the 8F. I'm sure the load on these was seven plus support .I'm sure it won't be much different this year. The County March climb and Glen Douglas are always problematic potentially of course. Let's hope TGM stays well.

12. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

TGM could end up being very busy. There are options, it will be interesting to see how it all works out. West Coast can work pretty fast so the K1 may be coming along well. The proof will be if it resurfaces in a hurry.

13. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I'm always at edge with the Scot And I hope that well behaving scot shows up so that we don't have any fires going over Beattock. That is my main concern. Negative I know However this has happened before.

14. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

You can never be too sure about what might appear on the day. They might use the Jubilee if has been attended to, WC can activate a test run, if needed, quite smartly. 46115 will settle down one day, it just may not be particularly soon.

15. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    Is that really a worry? Fires I mean.

16. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    Just had paper work through on this trip and it appears 61994 is doing Preston- Glasgow plus the return and Queen St - FW and return! Also 62005 is still up for the Mallaig leg. Let's hope.

17. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Wow, TGM over Shap and Beattock?! She'll be fine on the climbs, I'm sure, but I foresee frequent loop stops. She's not built for speed, after all!

18. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

Hmm. Given she had to stop to clear ash from the smokebox on the climb to Ais Gill on two separate Fellsman trains this summer , I'm not sure I share your confidence.

19. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

This is like a dream come true and so unexpected.

20. 242A1

242A1 Well-Known Member

The difference a few hours makes. TGM will be very busy. Wouldn't worry about the spark arrestor blocking, the train is only light and there is a servicing stop at Carlisle - the support crew is not likely to be caught out again - though I have seen support crews forget............The engine can run too, to say nothing about accelerate. If all goes according to plan this may be a very interesting trip - hope the K1 is repaired in time otherwise the K4 may end up in Mallaig yet.