If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Through steam Bicester to Chinnor Sat July 3rd

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 6136, May 19, 2010.

1. 6136

6136 Member

Just had an email from the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway. To celebrate the centenary of the opening of the GW&GCJ line to Bicester on 3rd July 1910 Tyseley, Chiltern Railways and the CPRRA are running a train using one of Tyseley's Panniers and six coaches from Bicester to Princes Risborough (run-round) and on to Chinnor. This will be the first through steam passenger train since the end of the passenger service on June 29 1957. 6106 ran the last steam coal train on 3 Jan 1966 and through traffic ceased completely in 1989.

2. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

3. 6136

6136 Member

4. 6136

6136 Member

5. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I see contractors are going to modify their headshunt to allow the mainline connection - will this be a permanent connection, or removed after the trip?

6. 6136

6136 Member

It has always been stated that the CPRRA do not intend to have a main line connection even after extending into Princes Risboro station. As far as I know this has not changed.Therefore I assume this is a one off. Here's hoping however........

7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would have thought that a main line connection if possible would have been an absolute boon as this tour will hopefully prove

8. 6136

6136 Member

Yes but ML connections are very expensive for a small concern. The Chiltern line is signaled throughout from Marylebone. Messing about with such a complex system is problematic. However I hope you are right.

9. james1983

james1983 Member

Seem to remember chiltern do run an empty stock down the branch which then works back into risborough forming a stopper back to london according to my brother who works around the area and usual spots there during his lunch break.

I remember we looked on youtube and there's a cabride down to the buffer stop. Sadly I'm on mobile internet, but I'll try and find the link at the weekend if anyone is interested.

But i can understand the issues and expense of a signal design, commission, alterations to marylebone panel etc vs the benefits, as its not cheap from working at my day job.

Either way i'll be on this as its not everyday you get steam to chinnor, and it being my local line. Plus, it'll be my third vintage trains trip this year, as I'm still recovering from the cornishman!

Plus it'll be interesting to watch the logistics of the arrival at chinnor if they are running there weekend service as well!

10. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

A full-blown mainline connection would of course be very expensive, but a NNR or Swanage solution with catchpoints and a gate would surely be much more reasonable and still allow occasional charters and special services like those Chiltern run to Bridgnorth and Quainton Road.

Btw, is this the video your thinking of? Its amazing how much is left just to serve as a turnback siding.

Chris

11. james1983

james1983 Member

Chris - That's the video in question. I agree with the comments on it, it's amazing that it is still used. Spoke further with people I know, and apparently there are two empty stock moves a day down there, one around 10am and one around 4pm.

As I've seen on other threads I've been gazing at, (I usual read rather than respond - hence this being my third post!) that could be a good little short route, you've potentially mentioned there for panniers, Chinnor to Quainton via, Risborough and Aylesbury!

12. 6136

6136 Member

In principle I agree The problem is you would have to run into the London platform and then run the engine round. First you need a shunter - extra cost, second you would block the up line for some time as you did it and the GWGCJ line is pretty busy nowadays.

13. james1983

james1983 Member

Got to admit I thought of exactly that this morning, also there's no direct crossover at Risborough from the Thame Branch through to the Up Platform.

You'd have to run into the Down, then either through under the Bridge and back on yourself, or run North and run back, if in Top & Tail mode. Anyway food for thought on this 6136!

I'll leave the side tracking here for now.

14. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

high days and holiday , top and tailed Panniers

couple of trips in the day , fantastic

15. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

All references to this train now seem to have disappeared from the Chilttren Trains website. With only 5 weeks to when it was supposedly due to have run and no signs of any booking arrangements it looks to me as though it may not be going to happen.

16. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

The press release is still there under News/Latest News if you go to page 2.

17. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Wonder if they will consider selling tickets instead of an ecs from Brum ? (I'd be up for that !)

19. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    I should think that the train will be diesel hauled with 9600 inside between TYS and Banbury. Otherwise I imagine it could cause pathing problems if the pannier had to stop for water.

20. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Any word on how to book yet ? Still no update from the original press release.