If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado - any chance of running at 90?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by dublo6231, Jul 9, 2012.

1. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Evening all,

I've just re-read a report (that I actually never submitted on here!) that I wrote shortly after I was on the Cathedrals Express to York from Colchester on the 10th May. In it I was musing as to how easily Tornado appeared to be achieving the limit of 75mph that is imposed on her - especially coming down the ECML from Doncaster to the water stop at Newark; also later in the run from Stowmarket back to Ipswich she really appeared to be running considerably quicker than the limit imposed though this may of been that it was dark by this point and because of this it was my perception that made it seem that way.
    I believe that the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust have applied for Tornado to be passed to run at 90 mph but is this ever likely to come to fruition?

2. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Its already been run at 90+ mph but the precise figure has never been revealed (officially) !

3. mickpop

mickpop Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    I think you need to clarify this. Do you mean it ran at 90+ on an officially sanctioned run or that it ran at this speed unofficially with a sympathetic official on the footplate? If the former then that is fine and we, ie people like me who are not close to the mainline grapevine, would like to know more. if the latter then perhaps you need to be cautious about what you say in case those 'higher up' take offence and the case for running officially at 90+ is set back. Careless talk costs livelihoods!

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Dig around enough and you will find there have been many posts on the matter and IIRC how it was dealt with by those on high.

5. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Spamcan81, please could you pint me in the direction of this information, sounds like it would be interesting to read about?

Thanks

Chris

6. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
  7. mickpop

mickpop Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    There is some discussion here - http://railways.national-preservation.com/steam-traction/18685-high-speed-steam-loco-running-4.html in which your esteemed self contributes but searching for 'Tornado 90mph' brings up little other than speculation as to potential speeds and lifting limits. Much of the discussion centres on point to point timings and averaging 75mph over long distances. There was also some recent discussion regarding the reported proposed US attempt on 'Mallards' record. I note from the thread listed that a point is made that the speedo of steam locos tends to over-estimate speeds and that recorders in the train have come up with more accurate recording.

I'm not doubting that 75mph has been exceeded on many occasions although it must involve a fairly wide conspiracy in which all on-train recorders, including those from the railway press, collude to either not report such instances or to falsify the records as I have never seen anything approaching 90mph in print. I can understand why it might not be wise to report such instances but can't see many drivers, locomotive owners or railway officials taking the chance of exceeding the limit from fear that someone somewhere will make an issue of it. I've heard similar excessive speed claims, [although not 90mph!] from preserved railways but maybe I'm just the kind of guy who thinks rules are rules and however stupid they may be it is unwise to ignore them.

8. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Thanks for that, that'll while away an otherwise boring evening looking at the rain!

9. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that the plan for 90mph running is still there, but the A1 guys are taking it very gently, proving their locos capabilities before they press too hard. Softly softly catchee Monkey.

10. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Regarding official 90MPH running, I think NR have slightly cold feet at something without a cab leading going above 75MPH.

11. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I don't know. I don't work for Network Rail. But I'm fairly certain that there was word within the last 12 months that the concept has not been written off.