If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado Railtours - 2019

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by j4141, Mar 29, 2018.

1. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    One problem has already been identified, lubrication, I would think and I'm happy to be wrong but, maybe they want to tune the lubricator to the optimum for 90 mph running, which may take a few runs ? Patience man, patience..

John Merry likes this.
  2. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Or as may also be the case - the intention is to re-run the Ebor Flyer and make that the first tour of 2019 to run at that permitted speed. Serious kudos in my book if this is the case.

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Let's see first whether the authorities remain happy that Tornado should continue with its derogation so it can run at up to 90 mph.

Seagullman likes this.
  4. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

I am sure those who want to travel behind the loco would prefer a better to run at a lower speed than not to run at all viewpoint.

5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Those of us who were on the Ebor Flyer were promised first refusal if and when they re-run it. I was hoping it would be later this year, but it seems not.

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

SR article states they wish to have a period of running in before 90mph is reconsidered - it is not ruled in or out. None of the reports have concluded yet, so no conclusions are being drawn, however there are still no indications that speed was a factor. Seems to me the A1 trust wants a period of caution and confidence building - professional as ever.

7. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT

Whilst I absolutely agree with you Al and it is completely at the NR/RAIB prerogative - I'm not sure that the failure (as high profile as it was) should mean the whole idea is thrown out. Locomotives fail - wither it be Steam, Diesel or Electric and as has been proved it’s not always speed that has been the over-riding factor in the causes of these failures.

More testing is undoubtedly required to prove Tornado is capable of maintaining the required speed again, but this will come at a cost - and so this is then down to if the A1 Steam Trust deem it worth their while: I'm sure that Tornado was designed to run at the speed and they have obviously believed it up till now.

8. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

The last I checked Tornado had received certification to run at 90 mph? So unless something fundamental is found in reports that the failure was caused by running at more than 75 mph, why should the authorities a) take it away and b) force the A1 Trust to go through the process again? She remains at this moment a 90mph locomotive.

First class partnerships, DBS and the A1 Trust are all conducting reports, with conclusions likely soon. We have been told several times speed doesn't appear to be a factor and SR mentions testing continues on the lubrication system - so the focus remains there. Given the significant time and expenditure on this venture I strongly suspect 90mph will be on the table again, but only once the A1 trust are happy .

dublo6231 likes this.
  9. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I wouldn't like to second guess the discussions which are taking places both among members of the A1SLT and indeed between the A1SLT and the necessary bodies, but after the sad events of 14th April (and I was one of the passengers on board), what would seem the logical thing to do would be (1) repair Tornado (2) get it out on the main line so it can earn its keep (3) bring off a few successful main line trips so that everyone is happy that the repairs have been successful and that it can run as reliably at 75mph as it did before April 14th. Only after reaching this point would it be worth considering another 90mph trip. It's a shame for those who booked on the Talisman hoping for 90mph and no doubt there will be a few cancellations as a result.

For me, besides the obvious appeal of 90mph running, living south of London, 90mph running makes a day possible that would not otherwise be practical. I still had to get up at 4AM on 14th April and didn't get home until nearly midnight. Still, I' m happy to hold on to the A1SLT's offer of first refusal in the event of a re-run. I hope that the dream of 90mph running won't be abandoned, but am happy to wait and see what 2019 will bring.

10. gricerdon

gricerdon Well-Known Member

Gricer and Grandad
    For those of us who remember the huge number of 90 mph plus runs with Bulleid pacifics in 1967 and not just with light loads, 14 th April was great but this is a new build loco with modern technology which has had a huge amount of attention to try to attain perfection and so the failure is all the more difficult to comprehend. But any loco can fail and I am sure that the in depth investigation will reveal the cause and enable the A1 Trust to pursue it's long term objectives.

Kylchap and andalfi1 like this.
  11. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

During the 1950s, after most of the ECML pacifics had been fitted with Kylchaps, regular running at up to 90mph was not exceptional. The quality of materials and engineering standards to which Tornado is built exceed anything that was possible 70 years ago. Modern track is also far superior to that on which the original locos ran. A1SLT are emphasising that their current focus is on identifying the precise cause of the failure rather than rushing to repair and then retest it. They will be like a dog with a bone until they find the cause and I expect they have already done so. It's just so very, very unfortunate that the failure occurred on the first revenue earning 90mph run. I think it is best not to speculate . . . . oops!

12. thickmike

thickmike Member

Happily Retired
    Not me - I was on that train for the 90mph element - if I want 75mph then a Bulleid pacific is first choice.

Mike

gricerdon and banana patch like this.
  13. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

A1ST and UK mainline steam websites now showing 10 July RAF 100 trip as 60009.

What chance for the Talisman?

14. Jerr Grey

Jerr Grey New Member Account Suspended

Until we have some rain this is all becoming academic. I don't think even if the Locomotive was ready there is much chance of them being allowed a loaded test run.

15. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Appreciate that. Chance of thundery rain in south west Sun/Mon and again Thu but nowt showing for the east.

We need the Met Office to mention the word 'barbeque' and the heavens will open.

16. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Quite enjoying this summery weather.....in the summer, actually. :)

17. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Way too hot for me. Cottage faces west. Absolutely hated 1976. Could be a seriously expensive month for us if the heat hangs around and promoters run show pony steam. Got 6 trips booked with a potential loss of £1400.

Sheff likes this.
  18. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    Hang on... has anyone said the ban is 'nationwide' or have I missed something? I thought it was just the LNW sections?

Tornado could have a test run on the NVR, don't forget. There's even the dead weight of D182 to add to the train if that's still there.

19. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    You & me both!

Sheff and The Green Howards like this.
  20. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    I'm sure it'll be ready for The Talisman - but 60009 would be a most acceptable alternative :):)