If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado to Parkeston Quay 27/8/09

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by bandit527th, Aug 27, 2009.

1. bandit527th

bandit527th New Member

Anybody know what is meant by Stowmarket DGL ?

It seems that some sort of reversing operation will be carried out at Stowmarket DGL on Thursday so that the class 67 Diesel can pull Tornado and its support coach back towards Ipswich and then on to Parkeston via Maningtree.

2. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

3. royals pete

royals pete Member

But TORNADO has been at Didcot this week and stays there till 2 September to take in Bank Holiday Opening. Shes doing Driver Training courses today,Thurs and tomorrow !! I'm not clear where your strange info comes from, but I wouldn't go looking for her at Ipswich if I were you !!!!!!!!

4. royals pete

royals pete Member

Ohhhh, you,ve thrown me with todays date in the title of blog !!!!. Youre talking the movement NEXT Thursday 3rd September. !!! DGL according to so many railway movements found through Google is, as was said by Matt, indeed the DOWN GOODS LOOP. Enjoy the sight; she looked a little out of place on the demo line at Didcot yesterday after seeing her on so many high speed excursions but lovely sight all the same. I shall be out at Twyford to see her come through, hopefully on the front with diesel somewhere else !

5. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I gather what is happening is that Tornado is pulling the coaching stock with the 67 on the back through to Stowmarket (Due to the signalling not being set up to reverse round the North chord at Harwich, and Ipswich being too full of Felixstow traffic to reverse there). Then the 67 will drag the whole train back to Harwich via the northern part of the triangle at Manningtree.

6. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    No I do not currently volunteer

Times and info on uksteam.info,the 67 is dragging Tornado and ECS to Stowmarket,then running round and dragging whole consist back to Parkeston Quay ready for Friday.A nice local movement for me,just 3/4 mile up the road near where Bradfield Station used to be.
    Colin.

7. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Friday 4 September is going to be quite some emotional day as the final leg of a special tour from the Czech Republic to Hoek van Holland then on to London will arrive at Liverpool Street having been steam hauled throughout from Prague by a combination of Czech and German locos and Tornado (keep the diesel off the back PLEASE).

On arrival at London Sir Nicholas Winton and members of the Czech Embassy plus Minister of State for Transport, will meet the train in what is a commemoration of the same journey made 70 years ago to get 669 Czech children out of Prague away from the Nazi's to the relative safety of England. Known as Winton's children, many of their parents went to the Nazi concentration camps where they perished and no doubt the same fate would have fallen upon the children had it not been for the heroics of Sr Nicholas.

Expect extensive coverage of the tour on BBC and ITV.

8. stan the man

stan the man Member

Thanks for this useful post.

Jim S

9. royals pete

royals pete Member

Plenty of coverage on BBC1 on morning tv (8.15 today again ) with a lot of video of the steam haulage. Strangely nothing mentioned yet of TORNADO although I'm sure this will come

10. royals pete

royals pete Member

On time through Sonning Cutting, 67 on front

11. springers

springers Member

Now retired,used to be at sea and later worked in
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Tornado on Harwich branch.

Passed Bradfield at 1610, 67 on the front 60163 on the back with blood & custard set plus 1
    Pullman and maroon support coach.
    Colin

12. wehaveaproblem

wehaveaproblem Member

Draughtsman
    I can't find another thread on the Winton Train, apart from one that says there is already a topic. And I can't get the link working...
    All I want is for someone to post to let me know if it is on time today to liverpool street? That would be great, thanks.

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I'm off to see it at Stratford, then Liverpool St.

It's on time.. as in the BBC showed it departing ontime.

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

not much chance of seeing it at liverpool st, platfrm 10 closed, mass security.

stratfords ok, but lousy sun

15. wehaveaproblem

wehaveaproblem Member

Draughtsman
    Easy to see it coming.. had a helicopter following it.

16. cg

cg Well-Known Member

might be on News 24 as next item.

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

huge crowds at liverpool street, pity they closed every vantage point in the station including barriers, blockades, riot gear and the norwich service ahead of it was used as a shield.
    people were crawling over the concourse..which lead to even more people wanting to know whats going on..translated into choas at the barriers for anyone wanting to actually get on a train.

i assume whoever organised the policing just moved staff across the street from the rbs building and its climate camp rioters expecting more of the same here!!!

stark contrast to prague where everyone was welcomed to the train at every stop and people were actively encouraged to go see it.

sad end to a weeks positive tv coverage of such a historic occasion, though those on the train, and the maan himself would have luckily avoided all this.
    still a tremdous event and well done to czech railways for putting this together.

18. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

How sad , a train to commemorate bringing people from an oppressive regime to freedom in the U.K. 70 years ago proves just how far the pendulum has swung and that in Brown's broken Britain we are denied the liberty that was fought for in WW2!

People in riot gear to greet the train - an overreaction?

19. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Member

Joiner
    How sad , a train to commemorate bringing people from an oppressive regime to freedom in the U.K. 70 years ago proves just how far the pendulum has swung and that in Brown's broken Britain we are denied the liberty that was fought for in WW2!

People in riot gear to greet the train - an overreaction?
    Today 04:07 PM

Typical numptys in this country over reation to a situation! Much more friendly in Europe I have been viewing on Utube.
    Brian

20. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Yes, but so is trying to crowbar in a link between what appears to be over-the-top policing, 'Brown's broken Britain', and losing our liberty! Call me outrageous but if it had swung as far as you suggest things might be just a little worse than being denied a good picture of Tornado.

Anyway, perhaps there's no greater reason than with the new approach to the climate camp the riot policing lot were getting bored...!

Chris