If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado to visit the Bluebell.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by David, Jul 20, 2009.

1. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Just announced on the Bluebell e-mail group that a notice was received today at Kingscote by Roy Watts stating that Tornado is to be visiting in August 2010. I'm sure I've heard that the owners of Tornado won't or are very reluctunt to have Tornado transported by low-loaders due to the potential damages that can happen when on-loading and off-loading the loco, so I'll guess we'll have to be at E.G. by then so it can come via the mainline? :-k

2. Columbine

Columbine Member

There is the small matter of the tip and the clearing away of the contents thereof

Regards

3. 6136

6136 Member

Tornado has proved itself to be a very powerful machine. Apply snowplough and remove dirt.

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Having Tornado turn up at EG off the mainline to christen the new station would make a great press event if they can get the trackwork and platform done in time. Is that a realistic timescale?

Chris

5. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Isn't next year the Bluebell's 50th Birthday, maybe the A1 Trust saw this an important enough commemoration to go against their reservations, if it turns out to be true.

6. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    After reading 76079 has been sold , i think im going to keep the idea of tornado visitting bluebell very much as a no go till told otherwise ......

7. davycrocket

davycrocket Member

8. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

Prehaps it will run down to East Grinstead on the main line but there might be some gauging issues, I remember Tangmere being out of gauge a couple of years back. The station should be finished by next year.

9. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I've blown up with excitement. Funny enough a week or so ago I sent an email to the A1 Trust asking if a visit was avalible for the 50th Anniversary next year. However I was just told to look out on the A1 Trust website. Would the A1 Trust be another source to find out if it is correct.

10. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
  11. sigsnguard

sigsnguard Member

I guess the draw of Tornado visiting could be the focus of a final fundraising push/share issue to get the tip completely removed. There was always a plan to do another share issue, so what better time? The news release does confirm it could arrive by road.

12. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Yep just seen the announcement on the web site, so it's coming by road. A big
    well done the organisers for negotiating this. Good to read also that other locos are being negotiated as well, any chance of a certain Fairburn Tank visiting please?
    [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

13. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Oh yes we need a Fairburn to visit considering their historical significance to the line and 80151 as 80154 with headboard from the last train. =P~

14. David

David Member

water meter reader
    A Fairburn Tank No.42105 photographed at Eastbourne Station by my Dad around 1958. This would be "THE" most appropriate loco to have for our 50th Gala. Please Bluebell and Lakeside guys let this happen next year. [-o< [-o<

15. Columbine

Columbine Member

I agree that it would be really nice if the Fairburn tank did visit for the 50th anniversary event, but it would be interesting if some of the BR(S) drivers turned up to. These engines were non too popular on the footplate on the Southern Region, it being claimed that they were expensive on coal and water. This wasn't the view on LMR and ER!

Regards

16. secr1084

secr1084 New Member

The plan was that a second issue would be made after the successful completion of the previous issue. The last issue failed to raise enough funds, with many complaints about how it was set up and run. This incompetence did have one benefit, lots of money was instead given to restoration and upkeep of the Historic Carriages and Locomotives the Bluebell has, I believe that the Atlantic project gained particularly well.

The tenner for the tip seems to be a far better way of raising funds.

17. stewartrhdr

stewartrhdr New Member

perhaps they should get Typhoon from the RHDR to visit as it did at barrow hill???

18. 80154

80154 New Member

Great news that Tornado is to visit for two weeks. Also great as a publicity "engine" to drive forward the raising of funds to clear the tip. However, will sufficient money be raised in time? The tip will have to be cleared by at least February, then all the remaining trackworks and viaduct works completed. What of signalling? Then certification of the new section. If not could the loco arrive light engine and have special dispensation in some way. It's a whole lot of work that's required to make a rail arrival happen. Also, is there a clearance issue in the EG area on Network Rail. I thought that Tornado was a go anywhere loco clearance wise otherwise it wouldn't be running around Kent and east sussex later this summer.

Maybe the previous knockers of the tip share issue should start putting hands in pockets to help make it happen that way.

Reading on in Bluebell site they mention other favourite visitors and coaches............

Top of my list has got to be a Fairburn tank, then how about B1 61264 running as 61313 which had a three week long sojourn on eastbourne shed in 1964 before repairs at redhill and two days of passenger runs along to reading and back with green stock :) Another would be a black 5 as so many came to Sussex right up to the end of steam on the Newhaven Car sleeper in late 1964. Over 50 different ones came round to eastbourne in 1964. Coaches? One of the caledonian railway coaches that ran on the line in early years would be nice, but what else is there? The SECR matchboard brake at the KWVR springs to mind as does some of the Maunsells and the red birdcage from the K&ESR.

Oh and maybe "Olly" running as 70014 (only one digit to change) with Golden Arrow regalia but please take out that abortion of a Pullman liveried LMS BGZ from the formation!!! Not so much a pup but more of a visual dogs dinner however practical it may be in commercial reality :)

Speculation.............but a serious poser to all.........get out your welded wallets and chip in for the tip removal........................NOW!!!!!!!

Ummm, any chance of a Thumper or a Crompton?..................I'm ducking boys before you even start on that one!! :):)

19. Dan Hill

Brick Machine Operator
    Steam Railway Magazine quotes Graeme Bunker about using Tornado on spoil trains as saying ''I'm sure Tornado will be involved in a number of set pieces during the weeks it stays at the railway. We are not adverse to a bit of hard work, and the locomotive can help create a new bit of railway then we'll be happy to lend a hand.''

20. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

It's coming by Road if the rail link isn't in