If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

tower block

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by lynton&barnstaple, Sep 1, 2010.

1. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

Enjoying the best breakfast in Portmadoc (at the Russell tea room WHHR) I was rather surprised to see a bright blue tower block actually moving on the rails. Lyd2 on its first passenger carrying trip.

Hard to believe that the machine stays upright!

2. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Allthough that brekfast is good, you clearly haven't been to the transport cafe on the industrial estate!

3. TonyW

TonyW New Member

I can only agree with you SB...

Breaktimes Cafe, Unit 17a Penamser Industrial Estate, Porthmadog, LL49 9NZ, Tel: 01766 513034 - but not open on Sundays :-(

4. Sparky

Sparky New Member

I have some piccys of a gala many years ago with 60 and 69 double heading the train. 700hp on 2ft for four coaches! Interesting to hear the anecdotes from when people drove others in Poland as well back in the 90s: looks like they had a lot of fun playing trains over there!
    On the technical side, it seems that 30 litre 350hp naturally aspirated diesels last better than smaller turbo engines: I've heard that the 330hp 10 litre Cummins used on the FR's Funkeys has blown its third turbo. Or is this because drivers aren't using the engine properly, ie allowing the turbo to run down before shutting down the engine?