If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Train announcements

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by Eightpot, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Eightpot

Eightpot Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Engineer Emeritus
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    On boarding a Gatwick Express at Gatwick Airport in (I think) 1990 a South London voice instructed us amongst other things that luggage should go in the racks and not remain on the floor. Difficult when many people had suitcases etc., that were just too big to stay there without falling of and braining someone. Occupants of my coach were p*****g themselves with laughter when this was repeated several times over. Is this character still around?

2. twofnine

twofnine Member

Retired Train Driver
    Well Ive heard 2 announcements from Guards which brought a smile to my face.

1. Will patients requiring Fratton, please ensure that they are in the right part of the train which is the front 5 coaches

2. Sorry for the delay to this service, we are currently being held outside Worthing waiting for a Plane to leave from Platform 2.

Not much we can say about these are there. Maybe they think Passengers are hospitalised and about to take off these days when travelling by Rail!!!

3. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Whilst going up to London last year I had to board a train to Victoria cut from 8 to 4 carriages due to a unit malfunction at Brighton, whereupon the guard announced after East Corydon with people pressed up against doors etc.

"Welcome to the 10.43 Southern sardine special to Victoria"

Alternatively there was the time when I was on a Victoria - Littlehampton train and the guard had clearly been given the wrong sheet as he announced proudly and unabashed...

"Welcome aboard this Connex South Central service. This train will next call at Gatwick Airport, then Three Bridges, Wivelsfield, Haywards Heath, Plumpton, Lewes, Newhaven Town and Seaford"

Whereupon the driver pipped in and said "just to correct my colleague, we are in fact calling at Crawley, Ifield, Littlehaven, Horsham..."etc. etc.