If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Triassic moves to Statfold

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by fatbob, Sep 1, 2011.

1. fatbob

fatbob Member

Joint statement from Bala Lake railway and Statfold Barn Railway:-

Triassic moves to Statfold

Peckett 0-6-0ST No1270 of 1911, "Triassic", has moved from the Bala Lake Railway to secure storage at the Statfold Barn Railway. With on going work and space being at a premium Bala Lake Railway found they were struggling to find space for Triassic. Statfold has the luxury of plenty of secure covered storage so offered to house the loco on behalf of the Railway pending decisions on its future.

Roger Hines , General Manager of the Bala Lake Railway said " we are pleased to work with Statfold to provide Triassic with secure covered accommodation with the added benefit of being available for the enthusiasts and public to see it at their regular Enthusiasts Day."

Henry Noon of Statfold Barn Railway added "We are very pleased to offer Triassic a temporary home here whilst its future is decided on and now its a bit closer to its original home! It will be on show at our Enthusiasts Day on the 17th of September."

2. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Love those Pecketts! How refreshing to hear of good-natured cooperation between organisations! :bolt:

Foxy

3. Charobin

Charobin Member

No mention of Bryce Latham - does he still own Triassic?

Charlie

4. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is a shame that Triassic, as I believe the very first privately preserved locomotive in Britain, is somewhat forgotten by the preservation movement. In part this is of course because it has been out of operation for so long, due in part to the BLR's preference for Quarry Hunslets, I think. I know that Triassic was steamed up in the mid-90s and proved itself a most powerful and efficient loco, so it has always been a surprise to me that it has not been used more.

Still, full marks to the co-operation seen here - perhaps this will be a turning point in its life? I hope so.

5. SteamBen

SteamBen New Member

Machinist/fitter
    Unfortunatly Triassic requires a lot of work to get it steaming properly, new cylinder liners for a start as the cylinders are very worn. I believe it also needs boiler attention as it has never completed a full run of the Bala line according to the information there. I get the impression that the owner has either not had the funds or just not bothered getting the engine sorted as it has been in a bad way for a while.

6. kscanes

kscanes Resident of Nat Pres

To this observer the three similar Pecketts all seem to be either unlucky or unloved, I can't make out which. There is JURASSIC in Lincolnshire, out of ticket for, what, 25 years? There is MESOZOIC at Bromyard, in bits for over three decades. And TRIASSIC seems not to have found the love and attention she has needed over the years. Am I being unfair?

They are lovely looking locos, you'd think they could provide a pleasing counterpoint to the ubiquitous Quarry Hunslet. Has it been bad luck that has caused them not to be regular performers over the years, or can they not hold their own against Leeds' finest?

(Slightly off topic, I found these links to JURASSIC working, worth a look for nostalgia! :
    In 1961: http://www.davesrailpics.bravehost.com/lclr/rare.htm
    and in 1984: http://www.davesrailpics.bravehost.com/lclr/rare2.htm
    but I don't think she did too much between those two years?)

7. 48DL

48DL Member

It did pay a working visit Buzzard in '99 though (I've seen the piccys).
    I have read that it was provided with new pistons at Bala and was 'fettled' while there until its ticket ran out.
    Anyway It's good to know that it will be on display at Statfold on the 17th.

8. Baldopeter

Baldopeter New Member

Jurassic was out in the sunshine yesterday at our anything goes day, but how many people came to attend it ??

We investigated borrowing Triassic last year for the 50th anniversary celebrations at the LCLR, but like getting Jurassic back into steam it was not financially viable, even though the owner and Bala management were very helpful.

How do you reconcile £20 - 30k worth of boiler work for steaming 5 -10 days a year for 10 years. We would love to get Jurassic back in steam, it just needs a huge amount of cash..any benefactors out there ? BTW I fired and drove Jurassic many times in the 70's and early 80's at Humberston, now we are lucky that the loco's and stock of the LCLR have secure undercover storage again.

Regards

Peter

9. SteamBen

SteamBen New Member

Machinist/fitter

i remember seeing it there and i even have a piccy of it. I believe it was double-heading with one of the resident locos.

10. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    May be one day I will see a Peckett in North Devon on the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway (a west country railway with a west country built steam loco) we have had both Statfold and Jacks Lane in Devon.

One trouble is we don't have the room at present to do anything about it.

11. Penrhynman

Penrhynman New Member

According to Heritage Railway magazine, yes. The article also states that Bala have failled to contact Bryce.

12. 48DL

48DL Member

I do not think that Bala have failed to contact Bryce, they have not been able to contact Bryce.

13. Penrhynman

Penrhynman New Member

Sorry, don't understand the diference.

14. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    'Failed' implies that no attempt has been made. 'Not been able' implies that attempts have been made, without success.

Meic

15. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Ah yes, i noticed that. The joys of the english language!

Chris

16. Penrhynman

Penrhynman New Member

Thanks. Got it now. "Not been able" is an accurate description of the situation, as I understand it.

17. Baldwin

Baldwin Guest

Any more news on Triassic ?

18. fatbob

fatbob Member

Still sitting safely in our shed next to sister Liassic.

Awaiting contact from the owner.

Henry

SBR

19. NGChrisW

NGChrisW New Member

Any clues as to when Liassic might find itself receiving the Statfold Treatment?

I think I read an earlier post suggesting the Davenport would be following the Hudswell into the works and as it appeared the only thing keeping the tender and cab together on that was the termites holding hands, I'm guessing that one won't exactly be an overnight restoration job!

Chris

20. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Mischievous thoughts as to whether the was another one called "Borassic".

P.H.

Bertie Lissie likes this.