If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tyseley - Works Extension ?

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by david1984, Nov 27, 2012.

1. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Going past Tyseley last Friday mid afternoon as the light was going, I swear I saw the Skeleton frame of a new building just to the Warwick Rd side of the existing shed/workshop at Tyseley, also appeared to be having a not insubstantial overhead crane installed at the same time.

Anyone know what that's about ?.

2. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    New shed for the Bloomer?

3. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

The extension to the works had been proposed for a while - looks as though they're getting on with it! I think it's to cover the currently open area between the works building and the VT office.

ie here Site of new building at Tyseley? - CampainR

4. david1984

That's exactly where it appeared to be Richard, is it for general use or does it have a specific purpose ?, the crane is making me think boiler shop, but I'm no engineer.

5. *8A*

*8A* New Member

I would imagine it is this scheme that received Planning Approval last year -

http://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/Generic/StdDetails.aspx?PT=Planning Applications On-Line&TYPE=PL/PlanningPK.xml&PARAM0=543030&XSLT=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Birmingham/xslt/PL/PLDetails.xslt&FT=Planning Application Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=/Northgate/PlanningExplorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Birmingham/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

Hope the link works, if not you can access it via the Birmingham City Council website and do a planning search for 670 Warwick Road, drawings avaiable to view

Edit - don't think the link works but you can also search on the application number which is 2011/04279/PA

6. *8A*

*8A* New Member

Looking at the application in a bit more detail it would seem to be just for storage of locomotives, i.e. no workshop facilities etc and access to the turntable area will only be possible through the shed.

At least the restored engines on site will be able to be kept undercover.

7. tromba

tromba New Member

Could it be an extension for modern traction maint? Remember Fragonset used to live on the site.....

8. tromba

tromba New Member

Happened (ahem) to be in Birmingham today and made an excuse to do a Tyseley drive-by. I only had my crappy-snappy camera with me and I wouldn't want to embarrass myself (and Olympus) with the results, BUT there was definitely a structure going up. It looked like it might be on the London-Midland side of the fence, but it was pretty grand with the steelwork glinting in the setting sun.

I did spot something else worrying. There was a Cross Country(?) 3-car 172 unit running (lights on anyway) in the museum’s Platform! It didn’t look like it was going anywhere as there were several choc/cream coaches blocking it in. Maybe they are starting to work on modern traction?

9. david1984

I don't think it's unknown for stock to find it's way either side of the fence for whatever reason occasionally, I remember seeing a phot of 4965 on the wheel lathe in the LM depot.

Problem is from the Mainline it's a fairly distant view so hard to see in much detail, but I think that's the only way you can see it currently, you can just about make out the turntable area from the north end of plat 3/4, but this is further up the yard.

10. david1984

11. campainr

12. gwalkeriow

gwalkeriow Well-Known Member

Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    One of the photos appears to show an overhead traveling crane, that would be a superb boost to their facilities.

13. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

Can we do nothing in secret?

We were looking at a new park-and-ride between Tyseley and Snow Hill using 3 car-170 units!

(KIDDING!) PB290936_sm.JPG PB290937_sm.JPG

14. campainr

Is the new building complete? Looking very smart from the outside.