If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

US Diesels

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Martin Perry, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Anyone on here into their US diesel locos? Am looking for some detail, especially about earlier stuff ...

2. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Depending on what you are looking for i may be able to provide some help, or at least point you in the direction on information.

3. Martin Perry

Thanks, firstly, I have an IHC HO Model of an ATSF SD24, with high short nose - all the info I can find says that ATSF only had the low nose versions, did IHC get it wrong?
    Secondly, the shade of green on PRR diesel locos I have seen described as 'Brunswick' Green, it looks a bit darker than the well known UK GWR version, do you have a better description of it?
    Much appreciate any info - thanks!

4. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    I would imagine that IHC just put Santa Fe paint on it because that was the body work they did up. They are notorious for putting every paint scheme under the sun on locomotives regardless of if the railway actually owned the type of locomotive or not or painted them in that scheme. Its a real problem IMHO in the North American model industry that the market is saturated with middling quality locomotives and rolling stock that lack details and are often in the wrong scheme/types that a railway never operated. In this case, its likely they did the tooling for high hood SD-24's, and just produced the model for every railway that owned the loco, whether high or low short nose versions in the one production run.

For the PRR, they do indeed call their Dark Green Brunswick Green, but its definitely not the same Brunswick Green that was used in the UK. I have never heard the PRR colour referred to as anything other than "PRR Brunswick Green", so i can't offer much help on that aside to say if you are painting a PRR locomotive, any UK Brunswick Green would be the wrong shade.

5. Martin Perry

Thanks very much, I think that the SD24 might get a repaint into Burlington livery. The PRR green sounds like it might have to be a mix it and try job!

6. odc

odc Member

Network Technician at St Albans School
    For the PRR, the Cambrian Railways used a very similar almost black green colour. There may be a sombody that can supply that to you

7. Martin Perry

Interesting info - many thanks!

8. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    If i thought it would get through customs, i would mail you some Floquil Brunswick Green, but they can't even ship into Canada for the retailers anymore because of changes to labelling laws, i have no idea what kind of can of worms we would open up if i tried to mail a couple of jars to the UK!!!

Floquil Brunswick Green
    http://www.testors.com/products/133611

Note its almost Black, you could take a semi-gloss black and mix with a dark green (maybe even the UK Brunswick) to get a custom colour for you.

9. Martin Perry

Thanks, thats a very kind thought! I have had a quick look and there is a UK supplier of Floquil paints, so I will email them.