If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vale of Rheidol Railway, 13th August 2013

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Rlangham, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Rlangham

Rlangham Well-Known Member

Despite being one of the furthest away from where we were staying, the Vale of Rheidol Railway was the narrow gauge line I was looking forward to visiting most - and it certainly did not disappoint! As well as the fantastic looking 1923 GWR built locomotives, and the carriages dating from the 1920's-30's, the entire line was wonderfully scenic and the stations all appear to be undergoing a lot of work to bring them back to original condition. A very large workshop has been built at Aberystwyth and fitting out/window fitting etc appears to be in progress, and of course there is the planned narrow gauge museum using parts of London Bridge station. The cafe at Devil's Bridge was superb - and to top it off, Phyllis & Rampton Trust restored Kerr Stuart 'Wren' Class 3114 of 1918, built for the Ministry of Munitions, was giving driver experiences for £5 at the Devil's Bridge - my first experience of driving a locomotive (and, barring a cab ride in a 40hp Protected Simplex, my only ride on a footplate), great fun!

[​IMG]

Start of the day - No 8 in original Great Western Railway livery leaves the shed (built in the 1930's for the standard gauge line)

[​IMG]

Baguley-Drewry No 10 0-6-0 moves the carriages into the platform

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No 7 'Owain Glyndwr' boiler and frames, in queue for overhaul (the money raised by the Kerr Stuart at Devil's Bridge went towards this)

[​IMG]

The pump on the front of the locomotive makes a very nice 'bang-BANG' exhaust beat even when static

[​IMG]

Climbing to Devil's Bridge - it's hard work for the little engine (well, not so little compared to other 2 ft locomotives....) and makes a very pleasant noise too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Footplate crew at Devil's Bridge

[​IMG]

My 'steed' - briefly!

[​IMG]

Here I am , many thanks to the chap who supervised the temporary drivers

[​IMG]

No 8 sat awaiting the return journey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original 1902 corrugated iron station building

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Evidence of the recent effort being put into the stations

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tight curves afford plenty of opportunities to get a good look at the locomotive hauling you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No 9 'Prince of Wales'

[​IMG]

Engineering vehicle aptly named 'Thunderbird 4'!

[​IMG]

No 8 Coalling at Aberystwyth

[​IMG]

As does No 9 later in the day

2. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

Nice to see the Wren in use. Did she travel up to Devil's Bridge under her own power?

michaelh likes this.
  3. Rlangham

No idea i'm afraid, it has it's own little corrugated iron shed at Devil's Bridge though. I don't know how long it's been operational on the line, it's in the latest guidebook though.

4. rheidol

rheidol Member

Railwayman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Glad you enjoyed yourself - some nice pictures!

The Wren will be running Monday - Friday until the end of August 2013.

Rlangham likes this.
  5. Rlangham

Thanks!

MuzTrem, found some photos on facebook on the page for the tearoom at Devil's Bridge (superb tea and cake...) which shows the Wren delivered by lorry if that helps?