If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vale of Rheidol Railway

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Sidmouth, Nov 15, 2017.

1. MellishR

MellishR Part of the furniture Friend

What's to explain? Quite a lot, for anyone who wasn't already aware of this locos recent arrival in Wales. It would have been less puzzling to the uninitiated if you had added your picture to the VoR thread, where the arrival was already being discussed, rather than starting a new thread.

2. torgormaig

torgormaig Well-Known Member Friend

Thanks for the explanations. I knew what the loco was but not where or why it was suddenly worth a thread on NP - I know now. I was thrown by the BG title - to me those initials stand for Broad Gauge which this loco clearly isn't. Strictly speaking I don't think it is a Beyer Garratt either as it was built in Germany rather than Manchester but that I'll admit is being too critical. As you say it looks nice.

Peter

andalfi1 likes this.
  3. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Built under licence to a Beyer, Peacock design though, so I would say the name fits. There is a similarly German-built one of these in the Berlin technology museum, but I can't recall how they describe it.

Great BG, RG!

SpudUk likes this.
  4. MellishR

What would have been obvious to you but puzzling to anyone here who had not seen the discussion on the VoR thread or otherwise learnt of the loco's arrival would have been:
    What loco is this?
    Where is it? (By the lettering on the bunker, apparently somewhere German-speaking.)
    What is the building with the open doors?
    Why is it noteworthy that those doors are open?

The relevant quotation is "The obvious is what one learnt yesterday".

LesterBrown and andalfi1 like this.
  5. Reading General

Reading General Well-Known Member

xxx

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  6. SpudUk

SpudUk Member

Project Manager
    How unnecessarily confrontational - some NatPres users need to learn how to talk to each other with more respect

gwalkeriow and Reading General like this.
  7. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Must be the wrong time of the month.

8. SpudUk

SpudUk Member

Project Manager
    It's the end of the month, so it must be pay day for most people - everyone should be happy!

johnofwessex likes this.
  9. MellishR

My post 44 was a response to a post which seems now to have disappeared. That post included some very confrontational content, but I chose to quote only the question, to which I endeavoured to give a fair answer.

Edit: I now realise that this discussion has been moved from the stand-alone thread, where the original post caused someone else (neither the OP nor me) to ask a question, to the V0R thread.

SpudUk likes this.
  10. Reading General

Reading General Well-Known Member

adeleted

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. penny steam

penny steam New Member

12. talerddig14

talerddig14 New Member

To fill in the gaps about the big red engine:

It's an NGG13, number 60, named Drakensberg.

The SchBB stands for Schinznacher Baumschulbahn, which relates to the Swiss railway that previously owned it
    Originally ran on the South African railways in Natal
    Built in 1927 by Hanomag under licence (the story I heard was that was due to some parts of SA being less sympathetic to the Brits after the Boer War)

Due to steam on VOR in early summer 2020

13. Wenlock

Wenlock Member Friend

Bus Driver
    I've never been paid "at the end of the month", I've had weekly pay, then a salary paid as 13 x 4 weekly payments. I'm currently on weekly again. Although I'm still working I am receiving a part-pension which is also paid in 13 x 4 weekly instalments.

14. 60044

60044 Member

As developments at Aberystwyth progress a question springs to mind - has there been any thought given to restoring some of the museum collection to steam, and if so, which ones? Admittedly there are so many in the collection that the numbes would be limited, but a Gwailor pacific could do useful work on the VoR I would imagine, and perhaps , at the other extreme, the 0-4-4T from Hong Kong - and who wouldn't want to see a Lawley? In the case of the pacific and 4-4-0 they also have two examples of each, so one could be for static display and one as a runner.

I'm not trying to spend their money for them, though, just wondering!

andrewshimmin and Meiriongwril like this.
  15. Miff

Miff Well-Known Member

Maybe they were all secretly overhauled at Collection X HQ :) - I doubt it somehow but you never know.

16. DragonHandler

DragonHandler Well-Known Member

It's part of the strategic reserve.

17. talerddig14

talerddig14 New Member

Yes plenty of thought given. But you have to bear in mind the scope of the whole project. At present, the railway is embarking on a large infrastructure project. At present, the workshop is full. each loco costs at least six figures to restore to steam(or that is what I was quoted in railway circles, correct me if I am wrong.) Not that you are implying it, but this isn't a Hornby train set, you don't just buy them off the shelf and put them back in a box when you're not using it, but there's a lot that needs to be done.

You can read it all on the railway's facebook page and website and previous reports. There's a large colelction of locos, the purpose of having them was not to lock them up in a shed. The long term plan is to have a museum for narrow gauge, utilising the canopy from London Bridge. To get there, you need exhibits, you need to restore them, you need to store or display those restored. The current project has been to create this, as well as resolving the perennial problem of having a platform as far away from the rest of the complex as possible. The new platform has been built, making the railway more accessible to all (together with a project to upgrade the 1/3 brake coaches and give them ramp access). In the bay where the old one was, a new rolling stock shed is being built, termed the Museum Collection and Heritage Rolling Stock Protection Shed. This will leave the former 89c sub shed free to be used as a display area and events centre. then you have the capability to display things. Then the museum project visibly begins.

Currently, the workshop is restoring three engines - 'Garratt' no 60, Baldwin '590' and W&L 822. All are due for completion next year. No 9 is then out of ticket and needs work done, including new tanks as it hides its air pump, like the other two. What happens next is not been announced and it would be foolish to speculate. Watch this space, there's enough updates flying out these days. A lot of the collection is not 2ft gauge and would not run on the VOR, which is a shame as one Bagnall looks remarkably close to a Rheidol tank..

18. MartinBall

MartinBall Member

Retired
    Thanks for the update! Is anything in the collection 3' gauge? We at the Cavan and Leitrim would be interested in helping/hosting rolling stock or locos of that gauge. Fell free to PM if there is anything!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  19. DcB

DcB New Member

The Surrey track thread suggests some of the locos were working 25 years ago on the Surrey track but it has been private.
    There must be a working workshop there as the Rheidol review 6 said it helped with the braking system on the NG13. Guess when the locos move to the new shed the Surrey site will revert to just a farm.
    Good to see several NG groups using the expertise built up and the collection will be open to the public, even just as static displays.

20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Interesting though that the first NGG16s were initially classified NGG13.