If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vale of Rheidol wagon fleet

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by P Scott, Aug 13, 2013.

1. P Scott

P Scott Member

I visited the VoR last week and was impressed by how friendly and helpful the staff were. I also purchased the guide/stock book, but it doesn't give much information about the current wagon fleet.

I know that following privatisation of the line from BR, the wagon fleet was renumbered into the present numbering system from number 20 upwards. Does anyone know the original GWR numbers of the older wagons (or indeed the original VoR numbers) and also the original SAR numbers of the newer wagons from South Africa? Finally, can anyone provide the builders details of the wagons?

Below is a list the wagons currently on the line:
    • 20-23 4w-open wagons (built 1906 by ???)
    • 24 4w-flat (built 1906 by ???)
    • 25-27 4w-flat (built 1897 by ???)
    • 28-30 4w-open (built 1897 by ???)
    • 31 bogie rail carrier
    • 32-33 bogie ballast hoper ex-SAR Type Y
    • 34 bogie flat ex-SAR Type DZ
    • 35 bogie high open ex-SAR Type B
    • DZ2762 + 2 other unnumbered bogie medium open ex-SAR Type DZ
    • Unnumbered 4w-flat Robert Hudson
    • Unnumbered 4w-open paired with Permaquip trolly DX68804
    One of the unnumbered DZ wagons is currently used to store the coal for the steam locos. Two of the original flat wagons are currently carrying the frames from steam loco #7, but they don't carry any numbers. Does anyone know which wagon is which?

If anyone can help with the former identities or the identities of the unnumbered wagons, I would be very grateful.

Thanks