If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Victorian era carriages at Swanage railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by LN850, Nov 15, 2009.

1. LN850

LN850 Member

Hi,

On my recent visits to the Swanage railway, I have noticed some old victorian era/style wooden bodied coaches. They have no running chassis and are painted green. I know they are used for storage, but can anyone tell me how many there are and what sort of history they have? (ie LBSC or LSWR).

It would be interesting to know,

Many thanks

2. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    LSWR so I am told, I understand that there is no plans to restore them to running order in the near future.

Regards
    Chris

3. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

4. LN850

LN850 Member

Thanks very much.

If they ever were to be restored, sounds like it would be on a rainy day when they re running into Wareham and have storage space and carriage resoration facilities sorted.
    Would look good in LSWR livery with the LSWR livery M7.

BTW i am not intending to start a controversial debate, just dreaming. (its a sunday afternoon)

5. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In answer to your question there are the 3 LSWR bodies referred to by Dace83, one currently at Norden, one at Harmans Cross and one in the sidings at Swanange. The one at Norden was only actually put there in December last year after it was craned out from next to the viewing area at Swanage where it had sat since 1970-something.

There is a long-term plan to do something with them, but as you say this is very much in the long term. If a group of people came along with a feasible plan to get them done in the shorter term then I'm sure it would be welcomed, but as it stands progress is limited by good old fashioned time, manpower and money.

Regards

Nick

6. LN850

LN850 Member

Well, if I did have a group of people willing to restore them and able to help fundraising, then an m7 with LSWR coaches wouldn't be to far-fetched an idea! :)

7. ady

ady Well-Known Member

Post office
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Better to concentrate on the slight yonger Ironclad, Maunsells and Bullied carriages first.

We need a coach with a brake compartment of some sort as well to work with the intended vintage train as none of the three had one. A possible suitable coach at Wool but that part much loved private house!