If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

VT - Marylebone Flyer (Inter-City) - Oct 13th

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ben Vintage-Trains, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

Obviously this train should be called the “Inter-City” but back in the 70’s someone decided to use the name for something else, so it is officially called the Marylebone Flyer.

We ran this train last year as a private charter; we were given some very preferential timings that we may or may not be afforded this time – fingers crossed! The return journey will does include a water stop in Banbury.

However, we are limiting the coaches for several reasons; the major being the length of the bay platforms at Birmingham Moor St restricting us to 8 vehicles – once you take out the water carrier and support coach, we are limited to 6 revenue coaches, hence the slightly higher ticket prices. The 47 will drag us into Moor St, but is planned to be left behind.

I hope we will see you on this and many of our other trips.

The Marylebone Flyer featuring 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe - Sat 13 October 2012

2. ashtav0

ashtav0 New Member

Carer,general assistant
    Sadly this one is out of my financial restrains But if goes to plan this will be a excellent trip how ever I do plan to do the double headed hallage and will be booking ASAP got my brochure today and must say how impressed I was with it great layout and good detail.

3. Ben Vintage-Trains

This date is rapidly approaching and we are running out of seats. If you are thinking about joining us for this one-off nonstop journey from Birmingham Moor St to Marylebone, don't hang around too much longer. We only have a few seats in all classes available.

We are looking for a departure from Moor St between 9:30 and 10:00, so it is definitely possible to travel from London and the Northern Territories prior to departure. As we are only planning a quick water-stop at Banbury on the way home, we should be back at 7:30pm (ish).

http://www.tyseleylocoworks.co.uk/tours/tr_2012_1013.htm

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It's not often that you get non stop running for any length of time so the two hours or so we'll get on Saturday is well worth the early start to get up to Brum. No tickets yet though so timings not known.

5. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Times are now at uksteam.info - t1013b.htm Looking very good !

6. 6136

6136 Member

Fantastic timings. 110 miles in 119 mins overall, Banbury to London 68 miles 67 mins. Three cheers for the timers and I think this shows the railway authorities trust those at Tyseley to do a job. How I wish I wasn't working.

7. alrohomer

alrohomer Member Friend

Retired IT employee
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looks like it will be a terrific trip. Hope everyone enjoys it. How I wish I wasn't on holiday (........ not really).

8. Ben Vintage-Trains

All,

Tickets and times were send out. As you can see from a certain online timing site we are non-stop to Marylebone in under 2 hours.

We still have a few seats left if anyone wants to come with us!

9. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Its not even as fast as it could potentially be as in the early part of the journey the Earl will actually be held up the 09:03 Kidderminster-Marylebone! Of course it there are plenty of places to loop it to let the "Flyer" through. :wink:

10. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Really excited!! Steam from the bay platforms at Moor St/non-stop to London/fast timings

Well done Bob/Ben/N.R.+the many many others such as Chiltern

WOW WOW WOW !!

Ray

11. Big Al

Follows it all the way, in fact and is on its tail at Marylebone. So a late start from Moor Street will help a bit...as much as everyone can get away with!

12. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I've had a note from VT today saying that there still a few seats available for this trip. "To reserve your last-minute seats, please call the booking office before Noon on Friday: 0121-708-4960"

Departure time from Moor St. is a very civilised 09:57. The return leaves Marylebone at 17:15 and arrives home at 20:06.

13. Ben Vintage-Trains

14. 6136

6136 Member

Persuaded myself that I'm not really neede in the shop and booked up. Here's hoping for a great run.
    STILL seats available. Must be a bit disappointing for Tyseley to produce such a fantastic run and not sell out. Shades of the Lickey year.
    You don't get many chances down the Chiltern line these days, it's too busy. Anyone who hasn't been this way recently you now have fast running through Ayhno Jn, Bicester has been re-aligned for 100mph running, new 85mph through line at Princes Risborough and a completely re-aligned Northolt Jn. to allow 70 (?) mph running.

15. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Northolt Jn is now 100mph in both directions I believe.

16. Ben Vintage-Trains

Unfortunately, we have no choice but to postpone this Saturdays Non-Stop to Marylebone due to a failure with the water carrier vehicle, making the outbound non-stop journey not possible.

We are going to re-schedule the trip for early April 2013.

We apologise for the late notification. We are in the process of calling all the passengers at this time, offering to either transfer the booking to the new date, an alternate trip or offering a full refund.

17. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Very sorry to hear that, Ben. Really bad luck. Still, maybe the date next spring will be slightly easier to sell.

18. Ben Vintage-Trains

We are deeply disappointed at having to postpone this trip. We had the choice of either postponing the trip or running it with a Banbury water-stop and disappointing people expecting the non-stop 1hr 59mins. Not a choice we want to have to make regularly.

We are looking at re-scheduling the trip shortly after Easter, but we have to check route availability, etc.

Apologies again.

19. Big Al

So, a lie in on Saturday then rather than an early train up north. But it only goes to show that even the best laid plans from one of the best organised groups can sometimes go awry. And with no water column at the buffer stops at Marylebone, there will have been no alternative but to postpone.

20. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Bad luck all, I mean it. I cannot deny however that I am fervently hoping that I am not working on the weekend you (and I suppose NR, WCRC etc) choose to move it to. As by then I will be able to afford it and come along, something I was bitterly disappointed not to be doing.