If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wagon turntable or plans to build one wanted.

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Graham Phillips, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Graham Phillips

Graham Phillips New Member

A truck mechanic's life is the life for me.
    About half way between Bewdley & Arley on the SVR
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just another one of my crazy ideas that will probably never happen, but there's no harm in asking...
    We restore the wagons inside Bewdley goods shed on the SVR. One side there's a platform, which gives ideal access to the body, but makes it a bit tight to get to the underframe. The other side, there's a wall, which leaves room to get to the underframe, but is a bit too close to the body.
    We've got use of the turntable at Kidderminster, but that involves firing up the Ruston, finding a driver, guard and shunter, and possibly two signalmen, and arranging with the diesel guys to leave access to the turntable clear.
    If we had a little wagon turntable outside the goods shed, we could be self sufficient and push them out, spin them, and push them back in whenever we want.

Something like this, except standard gauge and capable of taking the weight of a 28t Ruston (not to turn, just to run over it when shunting).

[​IMG]
    Wagon turntable
    [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html) or CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)], by Dan Crow (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Like I said, this will probably never get permission or funding, but if anyone knows of one going begging, I can at least start asking questions.

30854, Sawdust and StoneRoad like this.
  2. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

3. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I didn't realise the VCT survey included wagon turntables. There is one extant in the W&C depot at Waterloo, I believe it is used occasionally to move bogies around. It's missing from the VCT site though; I suppose I will have to see if I have a photo somewhere.

4. Graham Phillips

Thanks Weltrol. I suspect that as that one is owned by a business, the cost of removing it and making good the ground afterwards, plus the transport from Liverpool to Bewdley would make it too expensive. I know it was too much to ask, but I was hoping there might be one lying about somewhere that just need dismantling and moving.

5. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I have a GA and foundation drawing of a 16ft Cowans Sheldon turntable which was installed at Devonport and I believe may now be at the Ribble Steam Railway. it is rather hefty with an SWL of 72 tons so is probably overkill for what you want (and would be expensive to build.) I could take more detailed photos if you are interested.
    DSC_0428[1].JPG

7. Graham Phillips

Thanks for the information. Having thought about this a bit more, and looked at that drawing, I think my idea of building one from scratch was a bit overambitious. I'd still be interested to hear if there's a cheap, complete, disused, easily accessible one anywhere as there's some track relaying planned for Bewdley yard and there is a remote chance that a turntable could be incorporated if it didn't create too much extra work and expense.

8. Herald

Herald Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    If as the original post suggests there would be significant benefit from installing a turntable and costs and time saved from not having to trip wagons to Kidderminster then presumably a business case could be made for the installation. It may also help improve the utilisation of limited workshop space or by making the working environment better encourage additional volunteers.

As a feature of a number of rural goods yards in times past a heritage and educational case for installation might also be made which might open up grant funds and provide an interesting public attraction which might fit well with previous Valley events where goods and parcel traffic have been demonstrated.

Wagons are often something of a cinderella of the movement but much loved for things like photographic charters maybe a little project is called for to establish if railway management would support the installation, likely costs are firmed up and then an appeal launched to see what may be possible.

If other trackwork in the yard is planned then now may be an opportunity which won't arise again for many years.