If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Warley 2012

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Crazy Train29, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Crazy Train29

Crazy Train29 New Member

Night Receptionist
    got my ticket ready and im really excited about this weekend. i hear theres an L&B theme this year so it makes it even more special. plus looking forward to seeing patriot rolling chassis. yup I intend to spend a fair bit when i go up on sunday. ssssh dont tell the mrs.....:spy:

2. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry to disappoint but the Patriot chassis is going to be there next year...this year there are the Port of Par twins and the FfR's replica L&B, 'Lyd'.

3. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Hi all

See below the link for the latest update models from Bachmann on display at Warley The C class should be in the shops within the next few weeks and the Dukedog is now at it's prototype model stage. Best news is that 9017 will NOT be released with it's Earl Of Berkeley nameplates as Bachmann wanted the loco to look historically correct. Well done Bachmann! :)

Latest developments from Bachmann & Farish - News - RMweb

4. Shoddy127

Shoddy127 Well-Known Member

Well all I can say is I hope this years show is better than the last 3/4 years as they were very poor, hence why I haven't bothered going this year. Plus the slight increase of the ticket price and cost of car parking it's starting to get a little silly in my opinion but fingers crossed you have a good day and get lot's of stuff!

5. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Park at Marston Green and get a train in - £2ish :)

6. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Well, as I always do (last 3/4 years included - sorry Shoddy), I had an excellent day, towing around my extraordinarily tolerant girlfriend!

I now have a standardised process:

Arrive in the morning - go round the traders I particularly wish to have dealings with, see a few familiar faces, collect anything I've ordered. As the morning is the busiest time, doing these things, with the personal touch, is the best time to do them as you're guaranteed service, even in the crush.

Lunch - do it properly, take your time, by now you'll have a few books to have a good gander through.

Afternoon - start on the layouts. Gravitate toward the quieter ones, by about three the real stars of the show should be quite easily accessible, so do them last.

Works fine for me! Highlights included John de Frayssinett's incomparable Cliffhanger, County Gate and Bratton Fleming, Barnstaple - with working tablet instruments (sort of), a lovely model of Whitchurch Town (Hants) - poignant for me as I grew up in sight of the closed station and many, many years ago was given a 'play' as a small boy with this layout by the exhibitors. Finally, Liverpool Lime Street must be mentioned (wow...just wow...).

A particular feature that always interests me on model railways - naturally enough as a signalling enthusiast - is 'proper' signalling, all working, dealt with by miniature lever frame. There were plenty there this year :D

Oh and I took the train from Sandwell & Dudley, 20 minutes from home, 20 minutes on the train...there! All for £3.55...

7. Crazy Train29

Crazy Train29 New Member

Night Receptionist
    agreed guard jamie, was an excellent weekend and i enjoyed the layouts and I bought a couple of little things. I liked the L&B layouts, and liverpool lime street was excellent, as was the tram layout and the live steam midsomer norton. but my fave had to be bath green park. coulda spent all day watching that one lol.

as for parking, we parked at the station car park. Was £5, so cheaper than parking at the nec car parks which were a tenner.

8. garth manor

garth manor Well-Known Member

O'Connell St deserves a mention, historical modelling at its very best alongside Green Park, all those streetfronts represent a huge effort.

Show seemed quieter, less stands this year.