If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Warships on Inter-city Stock

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by Western Dreamer, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Western Dreamer

Western Dreamer Member

I've searched through various photo books in my small collection but can't find a single shot of a Warship pulling a rake of inter-city coaches. Did the inter-city brand come too late to the WR mainline for the warships?

2. chopshopjohn

chopshopjohn New Member

Retired
    The Inter-City branding was introduced with the blue/grey livery in 1966 and since the last Warship wasn't withdrawn until December 1972 I am surprised that there are no photographs extant.
    If you are referring to Inter-City "Executive" livery that wasn't introduced until 1984 some 12 years too late.

3. 50A

50A New Member

There are photos out there of Warships hauling trains containing vacuum braked Mk2 carriages, but Inter-City branding was (with a small number of exceptions long after the Warships had gone) only applied to air braked Mk2 stock. Warships were vb only.

4. Western Dreamer

Western Dreamer Member

Thanks both of you for your answers. I knew the brand dated from the mid-60s but was not sure how quickly it was actually used on coaching stock - or when it first arrived on WR coaches. I’ve seen shots of Westerns hauling Inter-City stock dating from 1973 but nothing any earlier.

5. CityOfLeeds

CityOfLeeds New Member

I have a similar query, I don't know if anyone can help? My layout is WCML, Summer 1967. I have a couple of early Mk2's in Blue/Grey livery, which I intend to use in a rake of blue/grey mk1's (which are not 'Inter-City' branded), probably with some maroon Mk1's thrown in as well.

The MK2's currently have the early 'Inter-City' branding, would that be prototypical in the mixed rake as described, or should I remove the 'Inter-City' branding on the Mk2's for 1967?

Prototypically, this rake is intended to be hauled by both steam and diesel, if that makes a difference?

Hope someone can help

Paul

6. 50A

50A New Member

You probably have models of Mk2a which were air brake only and are thus unsuitable - sorry. Also, Inter-City branding of stock didn't start until late 1970. Mk2 (no suffix) stock would be suitable for use with steam and there are plenty of photos of this.

7. 50A

50A New Member

8. CityOfLeeds

CityOfLeeds New Member

Thanks for your help, I'm not a rivet-counter modeller so tiny differences don't matter too much to me, as long as overall something looks right and properly fits the time period. The models I have are the old Hornby ones, (I think they are Mk2a, they have the end and centre doors in the style of the Mk1) which I will flush glaze, improve, and re-paint (yes I know Bachmann Mk2's will be way, way better but I model on a shoestring!)

So if I just paint my ancient coaches in plain blue/grey without 'Inter-City' branding, that would be identical to a plain Mk2?

May I ask what are the visible differences between the Mk2a air brake coaches and the plain Mk2? (I presume vacuum brake)?

9. 50A

50A New Member

You're in luck then, as the old Hornby models are Mk2. Visually there's little difference between the Mk2 and 2a TSOs (if you're not into rivet counting).
    A word of caution though, I detailed, repainted and flush glazed a couple of them before Bachmann's version came out. Flush glazing them was a real chore and I wouldn't consider it now. The Bachmann Mk2 is still much better than a Hornby detailed example and they are being sold at a discount by the box shifters at the moment.

10. CityOfLeeds

CityOfLeeds New Member

Brilliant, that's good. I will have a look on ebay and other places and see how much the Bachmann ones are going for at the moment. I'd be surprised if they were much less than £20 each though - my pair of Hornby ones plus materials cost a fraction of even one coach, and I quite enjoy a challenge!

Regards, Paul