If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Weathering

Discussion in 'Model Railways' started by richard_3672, Nov 30, 2008.

1. richard_3672

richard_3672 Member

student
    I'm thinking of weathering my WD 2-8-0 model and I was just wondering if anyone has any guides/tips?

2. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    A mixture of dry brushing (ie. putting paint on the brush, then dabbing it on a cloth until it's virtually dry, then applyting it to the model in a stippling action) and chalk pastels is good. White around the clack valves and the water filler cap would indicate scale. If it's a BR WD, then you've got a lot of weathering ahead of you! White scale got absolutely everywhere, and the rust on the smokeboxes was more reminiscent of Barry Scrapyard than an operational locomotive. Also, apply some substitute for ash on top of the front bufferbeam below the smokebox door, which represents sloppy clearance of ash at the end of the day. If you really want to go to town, dry brush a whitish-grey colour for road dirt, working around the loco number and maybe the BR crest, and that should do it. I personally don't want to weather my locomotives in case I had to sell them for some reason, but if I did, I'd use my A-Level in Art in this fashion. Hope this is of use to you...

3. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

On 1 of my locos many moons ago I used an acrylic based water paint and added coal dust which I broke up mixed with diluted PVA...I used the effect with many colours mixed on the board till I found the correct one I wanted.
    Hope that helps - I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to get the effect you want! It's down to personal choice at the end of the day.....

4. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

Obtain a good photograph of what you like to achieve and use this as a basis.

The Art of Weathering by Martyn Welch is a superb book. http://openlibrary.org/b/OL12103450M