If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welsh Marches Express - Cardiff: 27/11/16

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    No information yet but the prospect of Ian Riley's finest climbing two significant hills - Llanvihangel and the Lickey - is quite a prospect. Despite the dark return, I am looking forward to this one.

2. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

Not to mention through the Malverns to Hereford :)

3. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Not a common routing these days with the NR "tube loading gauge" expanding but some decent climbs and tunnels, it was the routing that got me to book, Black Fives at New St, X City, Lickey and Worcester - Hereford, more interesting than via Old Hill and Gloucester IMO.

4. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Another offer for the Christmas Trains - including this one. £25 off in Standard Class.

Early Black Friday deal - £25 off per person in standard class on our Christmas daytrips 2016

We are emailing to offer you an early Black Friday deal of £25 off per person for any new bookings in standard class on our forthcoming Christmas daytrips. This offer will be open until close of business on Thursday 24th November.

In order to obtain your discount please quote code EBF when placing your booking.

5. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

Just seen the email and have booked on this one.

6. Big Al

The RTC provisional start time of 0730 at Birmingham International will be fun. I didn't think that Birmingham was awake at that time of day on a Sunday!

7. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    I didn't think I'd be awake at that time on a Sunday, but as I intend to drive down to International from York, I'll be up a little (ie. a lot) earlier. Suspect it'll end up being 07:00 departure.

8. alrohomer

alrohomer Member Friend

Retired IT employee
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm sure we can get a few people up to look after you.

Big Al likes this.
  9. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

Thanks for posting this. the discount just about brings the tour within my price range to treat my old man, so have booked on. I've never done Llanvihangel behind steam so very much looking forward to this! Hopefully friendly timings will allow us to get the service train from Wolverhampton to get to new Street in the morning.

10. Big Al

Well the first one is at 0805 as I was looking to come in from Sandwell on it but I have to say that I was amazed how late that is. Down our way the first one up from P'mth to London leaves at 0643. More waiting is needed for actual times.

11. Andy2857

Andy2857 Member

That does seem unusually late, even for a Sunday. I'll put a fiver on the car being required now!

12. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    We heard on very good authority from WCRC guys on Saturday that there will be a diesel on the back to carryout the drag back from Cardiff to Newport Maindee triangle to turn the train. Arriva Traincare who own Canton Depot don't allow visiting steam engines and trains into their depots if Bristol Barton Hill is anything to go by and it seems as previously posted that Leckwith Triangle is out of commission.

The train will probably be serviced in Pengam Yard, east of Cardiff General Station, requiring a drag back into the station for the return. So no chance of unassisted climbs of Colwall (1 in 80) or probably Llanvihangel Southbound and most of the journey from Caerleon to Hereford and you can forget the Lickey. Hope they relent and make it a proper steam hauled train. Anyone from WCRC able to comment?

13. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Could easily be resolved with a shadowing path. I've seen steam at Canton before, though.

14. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

Any comment from @RayMason who on the previous thread said that this trip was black 5s solo?

david1984 likes this.
  15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Indeed, booked this one on the strength of hearing it would be steam from a reliable source, now I find all the banks have become an irrelevance, and my early booking for this one has also been rewarded by the potential to be sitting opposite someone who payed £25 less for exactly the same product, can't help but feel somewhat shafted and probably won't be booking with RTC again as a result.

It's not so much the tailgunner that annoys me, I've been on tours with them before, it's the dishonesty, being told one way is likely then the opposite happens, and also paying £25 more than I actually needed to, that last one must even irk Joe Public booked on this one.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  16. Big Al

Diesel on the back eh? Well, I guess it really does all depend on what the crews feel like doing on the day. Given that the Tin Bath went up to Cowburn that is a long 1 in 100 with an idling diesel on the back I wouldn't be as pessimistic as that about Llanvihangel although Colwall might be a bit of a puff. And assuming we take water at Bromsgrove - i.e. no run-up -the Lickey may well be a non-event. That said, someone must have done the maths initially - i.e. two Class 5s plus 11/12 coaches from a standing start at Bromsgrove.

No doubt, we will all get chapter and verse from the RTC when they send out the tickets........;)

17. 1020 Shireman

Relaxingly retired
    Ho ho ho... as the man in the red suit will say on the train.

18. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

I did read the previous thread (now deleted?), but did Ray not say it was Black 5s + diesel as far as Bromsgrove on the return then the Black 5s to Birmingham on their own?

Or it could just be my memory playing tricks on me after a bad day at work...

James

19. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    The original maths was one Class 7, as 70013 was supposed to do it. I recall having an argument with the Santa on last year's Christmas Cheshireman about the quality of his beard (which should have been Salopian is it never reached Chester due to line capacity issues and having to go the Great Way Round via Gloucester).

20. Big Al

Whether it was said or not, it's certainly a pretty good idea as if the diesel came off at Bromsgrove, assuming we stop in the loop, then it could go on ahead or follow to International, if there is a path. At least that way we would get the Lickey as promised.