If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wendy Returns to Hayling! Hayling Seaside Railway.

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 4073, Mar 13, 2013.

1. 4073

4073 New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It’s official, after a year’s break, steam will once again return to Hayling this year, with Bagnall Wendy from Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Trust making a return visit to the Hayling Seaside Railway! Wendy will be helping celebrating our anniversary year, with 50 years since the closure of the original Hayling Billy line, 25 years of the EHLR society and the beginning of narrow gauge operations on Hayling, and also the 10th anniversary of the Seaside Railway!

The first day that Wendy will be steamed will be Sunday April 21st, where the railway will be running in conjunction with the Hayling for St George celebrations, a local event on the Plaza at Eastoke corner. There will also be a Vintage Car Show alongside the railway, also at Eastoke Corner.

The Hayling Seaside Railway has also been chosen for the venue for this year’s AGM of the Narrow Gauge Railway Society Narrow Gauge Railway Society, due to take place over the weekend of 11th and 12th May. We’ll be putting on one of our Industrial Train Galas on this weekend, with Wendy in steam on passenger train and all our diesels out with the wagons.

On July 6th and 7th, it will be 10 years since the start of operations on the Seaside Railway after the move from the original site in Mill Rythe Hoilday Camp. Will be putting on a gala, with Wendy in steam and all our locos out on in traffic. The choice of Wendy is quite fitting, as it did run on the original line at Mill Rythe for a season in the early 90s.

November will see the 50th anniversary of the closure of the original Hayling Billy line, and we will have two events to celebrate. On the anniversary weekend of the 2nd and 3rd November, as reported in Steam Railway, plans are afoot to bring a Terrier back to Hayling Island! On the 16th and 17th November the EHLR Society will be staging a model railway show at the Hayling Community Centre in West Town, Hayling Island with a bus link between the railway and the show. Wendy will be in steam on passenger trains on both the 2nd – 3rd and 16th – 17th November.

So to clarify the full list of steaming dates are:

St Georges Day Celebrations (steam) - Sun 21st April
    Spring Steam & Industrial Goods Gala - Sat 11th/Sun 12th May
    H.S.R. 10th Anniversary Gala - Sat 6th/Sun 7th July
    HB50 Hayling Billy Lament Weekend - Sat 2nd/Sun 3rd November
    HB50 Model Railway Exhibition & Wendy in steam weekend - Sat 16th/Sun 17th November

*Extra Steaming Dates*
    Winter Seaside Steam Sat 21st/Sun 22nd/Tues 24th December + Wed 1st January 2014

I’ll keep you all informed of any news and additional steaming dates on this thread!

For more info see;
    HSR
    www.facebook.com/haylingrailway
    The Hayling Billy | Fifty Years On..

The website for the Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Trust can be found at Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Society.
    And details of the Hayling for St George Celebrations, is at Hayling for St George.

[​IMG]

2. 4073

4073 New Member

This weekend, the 6th and 7th July see the 10th anniversary gala on the Hayling Seaside Railway, celebrating the 10 years since the opening of the seaside railway.

Wendy will be in Steam, taking most of the passenger trains starting with the 11:45am from Beachlands, running every 45 minutes until the last train at 5:45pm. Wendy will also take the goods trains once each day, departing Beachlands at 10:20am

The first passenger of the day, the 11:00am, will be hauled by Jack to re-create the first passenger train, with the railways owner, Bob Haddock driving. The goods train will continue to run as the second train through out the day, with Edwin and Jack taking over from Wendy at 11:20am. Unfortunately Alan B the loco used to build the railway has failed with gearbox problems, so will be displayed at Beachlands along with the frames of the steam loco project.

The current loco roster is as follows;

SP = steam passenger DP = Diesel passenger SG = steam freight
    DG = diesel freight

(Times from beachlands Depot)

10.20 - SG - Bagnall Wendy
    11.00 - DP - Alan Keef Jack
    11.20 - DG - Ruston Edwin
    11.45 - SP - Wendy
    12.05 - DG - Jack
    12.30 - SP - Wendy
    12.50 - DG - Edwin
    1.15 - SP - Wendy
    1.35 - DG - Jack
    2.00 - SP - Wendy
    2.20 - DG - Edwin
    2.45 - SP - Wendy
    3.05 - DG - Jack
    3.30 - SP - Wendy
    3.50 - DG - Edwin
    4.15 - SP - Wendy
    4.35 - DG - Jack
    5.00 - SP - Wendy
    5.45 -SP - Wendy

With the weather looking perfect for the seaside, why not come down to Hayling and enjoy this seaside railway at its finest!

For details on how to get to the Hayling Seaside Railway and ticket prices see - www.haylingseasiderailway.com
    And for up to date gala info see - www.facebook.com/haylingrailway

3. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    No I do not currently volunteer
  4. 4073

4073 New Member

It's great to see you enjoyed yourself! I couldn't make the event myself, but I hear it had been one of the best events the railway has ever had!

And there's goods news! Wendy will be staying on Hayling for Christmas and New Year, with extra steaming dates! Wendy will be steamed on the weekend of the 21st and 22nd December, Christmas Eve and News Years Day! These are normal running days, so just turn up and take a steam hauled ride along the Hayling Seaside!

Keep up to date at - www.facebook.com/haylingrailway and www.haylingseasiderailway.com

5. Steam Yak

Steam Yak New Member

That's great news. The local Citroen 2CV club hold their New Year's Day BBC there so I can burn sausages, chat to 2CV friends and ride behind Wendy :)

6. 4073

4073 New Member

The Winter Seaside Steam days with Wendy are almost here! So if you want to enjoy a steam hauled ride before Christmas, come down to the Hayling Seaside Railway this weekend 21st and 22nd December! No need to book, just turn up and take your seat! Normal fares apply.

And for something special this weekend, the Night Train will run with Wendy, departing Beachlands at 4:15pm!

The timetable for this weekend is;

Beachlands : 11.00 11.45 12.30 1.15 2.00 2.45 3.30 4.15(N)

Eastoke Cnr: 11.20 12.05 12.50 1.35 2.20 3.05 3.50 4.35(N)

(N) = ‘The Night Train’.

If you can't make this weekend, Wendy will also be running on Christmas Eve and New Years Day. While the railway will be running daily (except Christmas Day) over the School Holidays, with Jack, Edwin and Alan B hauling the trains.

www.haylingseasiderailway.com

7. 4073

4073 New Member

It has been reported, that due to the rough weather, tomorrows Christmas Eves steaming has been Canceled. Please spread the word to anyone who was thinking on going, to avoid a wasted trip.

The New Year Day steam day is currently still on.

8. 4073

4073 New Member

Wendy has been warmed through ready to run New Year’s Day on the Hayling Seaside Railway! So why not start your 2014 with a steam hauled ride along the seafront.

Also at Beachlands Station, we have a small gathering of Citroen 2CV’s of the ‘Pompey Puddleducks’ and ‘Fils de Vitesse’ classic car clubs on display by the station.

Trains start at 10am, with steam from 11am and every 45 minute there after!

www.haylingseasiderailway.com