If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. D6969

D6969 New Member

Pway
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The turnout in Toddington yard has been moved across and the unloading road is now reconnected which will allow the tamper to leave and wend it's way down the M5 early next week. Done a good job for us this last week.

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Just read this letter. On the face of it this decision will go down as "something else bizarre happening on the WSR". The fact that this is not connected with the WSRA won't make much difference to the general public who will just see it for what it is . Unexplainable.

castledon and Yorkshireman like this.
  3. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Too late to be reconsidered?

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  4. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Part of the furniture

Comfy chair occupant!
    I see no reason why not. There was a very quick U Turn about Dunster by candlelight. If people want to get the decision reversed then they should try writing to the WSR Chairman, John Irven, at the Railway Station, Minehead, TA24 5BG

Trident63 likes this.
  5. Yorkshireman

Comfy chair occupant!
    I have just had a reply from John Irven, WSR PLC Chairman, stating that an offer has been made to CAMRA to ensure the festival takes place. No more details.

Paul Kibbey and 1472 like this.
  6. Kje7812

Kje7812 Part of the furniture

Secondary spend in the gift shop?? Or the buffet?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Jamessquared likes this.
  7. News to me.

8. Yorkshireman

Comfy chair occupant!
    He said nothing else except itbwould enable the festival to continue . Sorry I can't tell you more. If you want to send me a private message I can give his email and phone number.

9. I have been in regular contact with John Irven by various means and he has been present at relevant meetings between CAMRA and the plc. He has also been copied in on all recent correspondence. This all proved fruitless when he explained the decision to cancel our festival venue was a plc Management decision alone. The Board provide governance but not management functions. The only managers we have had contact with are the General Manager and Acting Commercial Manager, so we conclude the decision to cancel was theirs.

It has been suggested to us that our festival can continue at Minehead as long as we find an alternative self-contained venue off of Railway property. We will undoubtedly find an alternative venue and it will be in the County of Somerset. A number of sites are actively under consideration at this point but unfortunately none of them would prove relevant to this forum.

Barrie

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  10. Yorkshireman

Comfy chair occupant!
    Thank you Barrie. I am appalled but will write to him again.

11. Roger Thompson

Roger Thompson Member

Retired
    The WSR General Manager has posted a response to CAMRAs "press release" on the WSR staff website. Postings here are confidential, for staff only, but the gist of his response is that there was concern over safety due to overcrowding of the platform during the CAMRA event. An alternative location adjacent to, but not on, the platform, was offered but this was not acceptable to CAMRA.

Yorkshireman likes this.
  12. Yorkshireman

Comfy chair occupant!
    Thanks for that. I had heard the same from another source. I believe that discussions my be continuing. On the day I visited MH during the festival this year it was certainly very busy and difficult to manoeuvre my mobility scooter through the crowds. It would have been all to easy for a well oiled visitor to fall off the platform. Not a pleasant prospect. I hope the two sides can be reconciled.

13. Well I've read it and he must have been at a different meeting to the one four CAMRA committee members attended. At our meeting all the Railway claimed to be concerned about was declining passenger numbers and falling revenue. They gave us printed sheets detailing festival PAX numbers for the last five years to make their point. Denying us the platform site and our usual static coaches was all about making room for their proposed visiting charter train (to be berthed in the bay) 'to increase passenger numbers' and releasing the static coaches to operate in service trains. We were told it costs over one thousand pounds to shunt stock in preparation for the event!

I could disclose full email exchanges with the GM along with their suggested agenda, none of which mentions safety or overcrowding, but what's the point. I am completely satisfied Somerset CAMRA were correct to decide these are not people we wish to do business with any longer. Developments since then have served to further justify that decision.

Back at the end of September a member of Somerset CAMRA submitted a detailed written complaint to the WSR plc Chairman. Subject of that complaint was a WSR member of staff and a number of serious allegations were made about this person. We are becoming increasingly concerned at the complete lack of response and are considering how to progress the matter should WSR plc continue to ignore it.

For the avoidance of doubt please be assured there is no continuing negotiation between WSR plc and Somerset CAMRA. The festival is and will remain history. That is a sad fact.

Barrie

14. Yorkshireman

Comfy chair occupant!
    Even more unbelieveable. Another complaint made to the WSR PLC Chairman. Will other please do the same?

15. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

For Information

As a result of previous posts that have contravened forum rules in relation to remarks about the WSRA in the separate WSRA Matters thread, also associated warnings, a post on this thread has led to the account of Yorkshireman being suspended until the end of the year.

16. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Can understand his concerns. Hundreds of beardies on the platform just trying to get p*****d on as many as strong brews as possible. How long before a few of them fall off the platform and try to sue the WSR?

Yorkshireman, 1472, baz and 1 other person like this.
  17. For those who like travelling after dusk in a nice warm and well-lit carriage, most of these trains are sold out but a few seats may be available. Ring 01643 704996 for information.

Also might be of interest for those photographers who like shooting steam after dusk.

On Friday 4 December
    Departures from Bishops Lydeard at 4.15pm, 5pm* and 5.15pm* for Dunster and Minehead
    Departures from Minehead at 8.30pm and 9.30pm for Dunster and Bishops Lydeard
    (* the 5pm waits at Crowcombe and is overtaken there by the 5.15pm)

On Saturday 5 December
    Departures from Bishops Lydeard at 3.45pm, 4.15pm and 5.15pm for Dunster and Minehead
    Departures from Minehead at 8.15pm, 8.40pm amd 9.30pm for Dunster and Bishops Lydeard

On Monday 7 December and again on Tuesday 8 December
    Carol trains
    Departures at 7pm from Bishops Lydeard and from Minehead
    Trains stop at intermediate stations for carols to be sung
    Trains meet at Williton and then return to respective starting station.

[​IMG]
    (pic by Mike Dunse)

Steve

18. Ian Monkton

Ian Monkton Member

On Friday 4 December, the 5pm from Bishops Lydeard is the Quantock Belle dining train which includes a full 3-course meal, at a higher price of course!

West Somerset Wizard likes this.
  19. Roger Thompson

Roger Thompson Member

Retired
    I hope the relay at Crowcombe is finished by then! Is there any news on progress?

20. philw2

philw2 Member

Alcohol is bad 4 U. One day it will sink in - like smoking..

oddsocks likes this.