If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

West Somerset Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by gwr4090, Nov 15, 2007.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Thank you. That link is such a pale grey that I overlooked it.

2. baldbof

baldbof Well-Known Member Friend

Retired, ex-RAF
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer

There's a lot of truth in the saying "You don't get a second chance at first impressions".

3. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Some good points raised here but to single out the WSR for criticism isn't really fair. In my experience the same issues crop up on most heritage lines. Most have a bit of a mixed bag of rolling stock. Some is very well kept while other coaches clearly haven't had any TLC for a while. This is often most noticeable at special events like galas where every serviceable coach has to be pressed into service even if it looks a little tatty. Maybe we are expecting too much - there is only so much you can do each year to keep a fleet of carriages in good nick. You can't expect to be able to overhaul every one of them every year, especially if you are relying largely on volunteer effort. I'm sure everyone does their best.

Regarding the "linear scrapyard", that also is a feature of most heritage lines. There will always be items of rolling stock awaiting restoration which while they may look like pieces of scrap metal are actually items of historical importance that may just have the possibility of running again one day. While many heritage lines could do with a bit of a tidy up, again there is only so much you can do. I'm sure most of them have higher priorities such as keeping the trains running and the business afloat. In the case of the WSR we all know they have had significant issues to face in recent months so it's time to cut them a little slack.

Maybe those who aren't happy with the state of the stock or the lineside would like to volunteer to help put things right?

4. jnc

jnc Well-Known Member

I hear you, but I think the OP was trying to provide 'how the ordinary person, who doesn't know any details of how heritage rail works' sees it. The points you raise are quite valid, but such people won't know of them - and may not care. Is that fair? Perhaps not, but I'm not sure there's any way to change that (although I suppose some explanatory signs wouldn't hurt). That's the downside of depending on money from the public to help support a heritage rail line.

Noel

Adam-Box, ghost, michaelh and 6 others like this.
  5. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    While the interiors are generally clean, I dont think that many have had any internal refurbishment for many years, the condition of the floors , and woodwork at ground level particular isnt very clever

Certainly the general level of exterion cleanlieness in pretty grim, and the carriage roofs ditto

By contrast seeing the FR staff cleaning trains when the arrive at Porthmadog is most impressive

Fish Plate likes this.
  6. Premier.Prairie

Premier.Prairie New Member

The comparison must be with any other tourist organisation, not just other railways. If Dunster castle was 'tatty' of the Farm Park untidy or unloved then people won't return there but if its a good experience they will. They're all after the punter's pound and if Mrs public is not impressed or the kids want the toilet that doesn't work or isn't available on a long journey then grizzles for an hour and a half that's likely to be the deciding factor about a return visit. Much is down to first impressions, and then it's everything that you do. Any negative things (unless very minor ) is very likely to outweigh all the good points.
    John

Greenway, michaelh, 35B and 8 others like this.
  7. AnthonyTrains2017

AnthonyTrains2017 Well-Known Member

On double headed services which footplate crew take the lead. The loco on the front or the one inside.

8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    So, if Joe Public is not satisfied with the state of the stock or thinks the lineside needs tidying they should volunteer or shut up? By extrapolation, if I or anyone else visits somewhere and is not impressed, I shouldn't comment unless I'm prepared to do something about it. I don't think so.

Bean-counter, ghost, Greenway and 9 others like this.
  9. Anne C-B

Anne C-B Member

I think you'll find that customers who're not satisfied wont come back again and will advise others to go elsewhere so that's not a cleaver comment. Ignore their feelings at your peril.

Bean-counter likes this.
  10. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Sadly, you have misread Steve's views. His views would appear to be exactly as yours (and mine).

11. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

With the size of fleet needed by a line the length of the WSR, overhauling at least one carriage a year is more like a bare minimum than a "too much to expect".

I don't know what size carriage fleet the WSR has; the SVR, quite a bit shorter but with more frequent services, needs about 40 in service as a minimum. If you have 40 carriages and see overhauling one a year as an absolute maximum, you need each carriage to potentially go well over 40 years between overhauls. However high a standard of work you can do, and however well-maintained you keep it in the meantime, a 40-year interval between full overhauls is going to see it looking tatty by the time it comes to the head of the queue.

jnc, Wenlock, 2392 and 1 other person like this.
  12. howard

howard Member

Retired Ship's Engineer
    The one on the front has charge of the train although the one behind is also responsible for sighting signals and obeying rules etc.

Wenlock and Nick C like this.
  13. Steve

I don't think 6026KingJohn inferred overhauling just one carriage per year but you are right in suggesting that it needs to be significantly more than one carriage per year.

14. Steve

As PaulHitch has said, my post was essentially in agreement with your assertions. I was fundamentally disagreeing with the age-old argument put forward by 6026 King John and others that, 'If you don't like what you see, come along and volunteer instead of making comment.' The enthusiast is no different from Joe Public. They have expectations and should not be criticised when they make adverse comment, unless it is unwarranted.

oddsocks, Bluenosejohn, 2392 and 8 others like this.
  15. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Especially when they bring non enthusiasts with them, who multiply the spend - and can make or break their ability to go again.

See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-48397671 for an example of how this can apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnc, Greenway and michaelh like this.
  16. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

There was an article from our C&W director about two years ago that stated:

"On a continuous basis, each of our carriages will need a 30-year overhaul (upstairs and downstairs), a 15-year overhaul (mostly downstairs), and a seven-and-a-half yearly door and lock attention, plus routine maintenance. ​

With the number of vehicles in traffic, this schedule will need us to undertake around one 30-year overhaul, one 15-year overhaul, and two door attentions each year, plus maintenance. "
    All of which is in addition to repainting and general maintenance activity. Which gives the target we are trying to reach just to stand still; even that only keeps about 30 carriages in traffic, and I suspect the WSR needs more. (OTOH, because the WSR only has one carriage type, the maintenance regime should be more amenable to a kind of production line, in which components such as overhauled bogies, dynamos etc can be prepared and held in stock for the next carriage coming). Bogie overhauls are an increasing priority, and we have recently been doing complete overhauls of bogies; as I understand, on a Commonwealth bogie (under many heritage railway Mark 1s) there is a risk that if the axle boxes stick in the horn guides, you inadvertently end up with a high unsprung mass which is damaging to the track.

Tom

Hirn, Bluenosejohn, bluetrain and 3 others like this.
  17. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I suspect that a lot of MK1's across all the Heritage Lines have never had a major interior overhaul since they were purchased from BR which doesnt help

paulhitch and jnc like this.
  18. snappertim

snappertim New Member

If I am visiting somewhere new with the present Mrs S. I invariably take a look at TripAdvisor and scan recent postings be it for attractions, restaurants and hotels. Clearly they have to be read with a sceptical eye, but if there are a considerable number [ WSR has 2000+ ] then you can get some sort of a picture of what to expect. The WSR , in the main does very well indeed, although there is no room for complacency.

That said it is interesting to note that the railway does not respond at all to any comments, good or bad, either because it is company policy[?] or possibly there is no system in place. I don't know. Contrast that with K&ESR and Crich Tramway Museum for example, and management do respond. Clearly they feel it is of value to do so, and indeed often complaints online are effectively dealt with, to show the organisation in a much better light than if theyhad remained unanswered.

TripAdvisor also can show up trends. For example at Crich, which I am familiar with, the main complaint has been the catering facilities. Whilst the management have recognised this for sometime, and so are not directly responding to TripAdvisor posters, the fact is that the tearooms are to be demolished in the very near future and new facilities, consistent with the site ambience, are to be built.

In short, in this day and age, you ignore public opinion, including that which is posted on social media, at your peril.

Bluenosejohn, jnc, bluetrain and 5 others like this.
  19. aldfort

aldfort Well-Known Member

Retired
    Here is something I don't understand.
    Why is it when there is a comment made that the WSR needs more volunteers to do the host of jobs that need doing some people are ready to jump down others peoples throats?
    It is a true statement. The WSR needs more volunteers. If we had more volunteers stock would be cleaner, stations would be better planted, we'd be able to paint things more regularly. Please come and volunteer on our railway and help out with all the jobs we all know need doing.

I'll mention something about timetabling as well that often seems to elude the enthusiasts who post here.
    Speed restrictions (TSR's ) impact the timetable and must be obeyed.
    The light railway order under which we operate sets a max speed of 25 mph.
    If an up train runs late then the down train is affected so if the up arrives Williton 10 minutes down then it's inevitable the down will arrive MD late.
    Yesterday we ran a pretty intensive timetable with 4 engines (yes, really 4) in steam and one DMU service.
    The DMU had a problem leaving BL on the first down service of the day.
    As we ran into Williton on the second down service of the day we were told the up was "10 down". Station work and the TSR's did for a further 5 minutes and we were "15 down" at MD. We got back on our train and were well ready for an on time up departure only for Ops to tell us the next down, which we crossed at MD, was "20 down". We departed MD "25 down" and arrived BL "20 down" as a consequence. In doing this we delayed 2 further down services at Williton and Crowcombe respectively.
    Nothing that can be done about this on a single track railway with passing places and only 4 sections. I've invited others to have a go and send me alternative timetables. I've said I'll give a prize and so far no takers. I have no idea what the problem was with the DMU in the morning, I have even less idea why the 11.00 BL departure lost 20 mins. I was amazed the two down trains mentioned were waiting for us at Crowcombe and Williton, Credit to the two train crews for that.

I arrived home 12 and a half hours after leaving yesterday looking for food and a hot bath. That is not a complaint it's by way of a statement to balance some of the criticism. We really do need more help. Almost anybody can be taught how to clean stock or indeed how to assist in the maintenance of stock. Almost anybody can be shown how to plant up station borders and planters and how to look after them. We all want a nicer railway, please come and help make it so.
    Contact me and I'll put you in touch with the right people.

Hirn, Geoff May, malcolm imps and 5 others like this.
  20. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

It can often seem to me that many heritage lines - in order to re-create a heritage appearance - get their priorities in the wrong order. Often it not the line operators fault but simply because others 'do their own thing'.
    What does Mr. & Mrs. Everage and family expect when they arrive at their chosen railway? Once they have found a place to park their car probably the next port of call will be toilets. Closed or unclean toilets will not be a good start for the day. Depending on how long they have to wait for a train they might look in to a cafeteria or shop, this will another test for the line. So far they have not yet got on a train; but their impressions will have been formed - good or bad.
    Dismal looking or unkempt interiors of rolling stock will also be noted: to some it may be of importance in reflecting how the line operates and might suggest a well run company if the carriages are well presented or a line on its 'uppers' if otherwise.
    So often on NP we read about well turned out wagons and lineside structures, but in so many cases, if carriages - the things that carry the paying public - are neglected it does not portray a well run set up. Unless you wish to portray the neglect due to WW2 I believe more attention to the appearance of rolling stock should be of great importance. Great pride is usually taken where the locomotive is concerned; a shame that it doesn't always apply to the rest of the train.