If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

What Ifs, and Locos that *rightly* never were.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Jimc, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

computers
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I knocked these up after it was suggested on another forum...

A 2-6-0 based on the 1500 pannier tank with the same Std 10 boiler - and not much for the pony truck to do...

hawksworth mogul-col..jpg

And basically the same chassis, but with a Std 4 boiler which would make a bit more sense.

hawksworth mogul-std2-col.jpg

Really though a mixed traffic locomotive with 5ft 8 drivers would be more useful by then, but that's a more complex hack.
    The tender is a cut down version of the Hawksworth 4,000 gallon type.

aron33, Corbs and 240P15 like this.
  2. 30854

30854 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Wow! A modern looking small GW mogul to fit on just about any turntable! With original boiler, not at all bad looking. Pity the sort of branches which could use such a design tended never to be (a) likely to justify new locos or (b) equipped with turntables.

I wonder ..... As the original 15xx's were a Red restriction, would losing the panniers/bunker and adding the pony truck make enough difference to axle load to give such a beastie the kind of route availability to make it useful? The No.4 boiler may well make it better suited to longer journeys, but at what kind of weight penalty?

240P15 likes this.
  3. Jimc

computers
    These are a couple I did in the 4-4-0 County thread, where they are really hideously OT... think the topic moved to what other alternatives were there for Didcot's Barry wreck 4200/5205.

A conversion of 4200s to tender engines with Standard 1 boilers was envisaged at one stage. Here's a drawing of my interpretation of what it might have looked like.
    View attachment 34138

A conversion of the 42/52 to a 2-6-0 retaining the Standard 4 boiler would be almost exactly a 4300 with smaller wheels.
    View attachment 34140

240P15 likes this.
  4. 240P15

240P15 Active Member

Very great job Jimc:) Thanks for sharing it! It must be fun to create your own designed locomotive.

kind regards

Knut

5. Jimc

computers
    Thankyou, but of course strictly speaking I'm just assembling:)
    All the real design work was done by the skilled and talented people in the Swindon drawing office 60-100 years ago. And 2D profiles are an order of magnitude easier than designing everything to fit together in 3 dimensions.

Its something that puzzles me about 3d printed models. What I've glanced at seems very much geared around one piece body shells with all the fittings. I do wonder if it would be better to 3D print major kit parts, and assemble a model from 3d printed components, etched, turned brass, and whatever materials are suited for an individual components. I have it in mind I should draw up a set of 3d printed Swindon standard boilers. With a suite of boilers all sorts of R2R conversions are possible, especially if matched with a software driven cutter to cut out sheet parts from plastic or metal sheet. Just need to solve rivets:)

240P15 likes this.