If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

What is the history of this loco in Budapest ?

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by toplight, Jan 29, 2018.

1. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I had a long weekend in Budapest some years ago and had short drive of this loco at the Hungarian Railway Museum. You could drive it up and down a few times for about 5 quid and it was quite impressive. Anyone know more about it and its history ?

118_1896.JPG

2. 240P15

240P15 Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
  3. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Oh thanks, I remember that the Springs were quite unusual with the compensating beam (see here), and the outside Stephenson valve gear.
    How successful was that type of Springing and I know it has been used elsewhere, but not that I am aware in Britain. ?

119_1908.JPG

4. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Loco Details :
    4-4-0 weighing 44.7 tons is a member of Class 1a built in 1900 by the Hungarian State Railway's Budapest workshops. Released to traffic as Works No 1480 / Fleet Number 204 in September 19oo it worked until 1945 when it was transferred to the East German Railways (DR) where it worked until February 1950. It was next moved to the Budapest Chemical Works where it began work from 30 May 1952 before being transferred to the harbour of the Hungarian Shipping Company. After withdrawal from service it was obtained by the MAV Nostalgia, Hungary's National Rail Museum, in March 1988 and restored to working order at the Museum's Istvantelek works.

The Museum has an annual "Grand Prix" in September which may be worth a visit - see

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  5. Monkey Magic

Monkey Magic Part of the furniture

6. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    RTC hired this loco many times with participants often enjoying cab rides. Hauling vintage 4 wheelers ..... it was a total wow!
    One year it double headed up the Semmering with its Austrian near twin.
    Remarkably the Hungarian crew welcomed me on the footplate on the entire climb. At times we had parallel running with Sudbahn 109.13 +the MAV example 109.109—-2 460s parallel to 2 440s on the main line from Vienna to Graz(Villac/Trieste etc) via the Semmering line! What a day!!

204. A remarkable engine. RTC hired it more than any other group outside Hungary ! RTC hired every MAV working steam loco - !!

Ray Mason

7. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

This may be a particularly extreme example of compensated springing but doesn’t the S160 have a similar arrangement?
    And if you want a British built example I can find you a wagon with something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Amongst preserved locos, the Adams Radial Tank has compensation between the driving axles - the difference with this loco being that the springs and compensating beams are below the frames rather than above. You can just make them out in the photo below (not my photo).

http://www.derekhayward.co.uk/Blueb...ocomotives-not-currently-in-s/488/i-QB8SdFQ/A

From the drawing, I believe that the Adams T3 has similar springing - this was about the clearest picture I could find online:

https://www.facebook.com/LSWRNo.563...4986284840596/127789824560242/?type=3&theater

Tom

andrewshimmin likes this.
  9. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    Plenty of smaller contractors locos had compensated springing, Manning Wardle built a lot of their locos with it such as 'Sir Berkeley. Bellerophon has her compensation beams very visible above the running boards.

10. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Outside the UK, compensation of loco springing was the norm. In the UK, it was not so common on the coupled axles of later mainline locos (the GWR Stars, albeit not "later", are a notable exception) although it was common in certain areas e.g. the American-style bogies used on GWR locos, LMS Pacifics and their derivations on LMS 4-6-0s, and BR Standards. The two wheel trucks on GWR locos were connected with equaliser beams to the adjacent couple axle. The WD tender locos had prominent compensation beams on the tender, and equaliser beams were used on the bogies of some of the earlier diesel and electric classes (e.g. Class 25, 47, 86) and Commonwealth bogies on Mark I coaches. There are no doubt more examples.