If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

92207 Morning Star

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by bambam897, Jun 27, 2016.

1. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

I was on the last public service train over the S&D - was it really as long ago as 1066:eek:?

I guess it was that Swindon mob who invited the Normans come over as revenge for the S&D thwarting their plans to be ride of steam by the end of 1065:)

Peter

Hirn, green five and Jamessquared like this.
  2. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It seems to me that if the S&DRT want an appropriate main line loco then thats the one for sale.

There may well be smaller loco's appropriate to the S&D in preservation but if they are not for sale then you have to take what is

Chris86, green five, MellishR and 2 others like this.
  3. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    ....and I saw the final Pines Express and service trains. Gosh I'm getting old.

Sorry for the 1066 error. <BJ>

4. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    or....don't saddle yourself with a massive engine that you can't afford to restore or run, but just wait until a more suitably sized loco comes on the market!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Gav106 and Hicks19862 like this.
  5. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

The latest S&D Telegraph newsletter arrived today with an article about 92207. It states the initial purchase price of £150k has been agreed with Keith Bottomley, to be paid over five years. Keith has also joined the SDRHT Trust.
    For the long term future I would expect at least two ways to provide 10 year overhaul funds - going out on loan quite a bit (but that's OK if its 'home' is Midsomer Norton), and I would also expect driving a 9F on the real S & D to be a popular and premium footplate experience.

Dave

andalfi1 likes this.
  6. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

I do admire your optimism. Here you are, talking about funding an overhaul after 10 years of operating when there is still a little matter of funding the initial restoration before that clock even starts ticking. At best you must consider that completion of the loco will cost maybe £250,000 and take five years. More likely it will involve doubling both estimates. Much as I like 9Fs (I was firing one only last week) and love the S&D I cannot get very excited by this move. I say this as a member of the S&DRHT (see my modest contribution to the latest Telegraph on its back page) and will continue to wish them well despite doubting the wisdom of this purchase.

Peter

Gav106, Matt37401, ghost and 6 others like this.
  7. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    I get where Peter (@torgormaig) is coming from, but equally recall such siren calls when something as ridiculously large as a Standard 4 4-6-0 landed at Sheffield Park. From the tone of certain sections of the Bluebell's membership back then, you'd think they had adopted a 'scrap and replace' policy .... and Stepney would be the first to go!

Given the ongoing absence of a certain four coupled design I shall not mention, a 9F is getting as close to the S&D of living memory (just!) as it's possible to.

So, is a 9F a tad on the large side for the current S&D? OK, maybe a bit, for now .... but .... it's going to take a while before it's next boiler ticket starts ticking. We really mustn't get so caught up in the here and now that we forget about the future entirely. As much as our movement owes to them and their generations, did everything the Tom Rolts and Alan Peglers achieve come to a grinding halt with their passing? Beware hubris peeps, it won't all come to a halt just because we'll gradually be falling off our perches either.

MattA and MellishR like this.
  8. Paul Grant

Paul Grant Well-Known Member

Hopefully not for the future though. Its handy to get it now and put it to work elsewhere as well as being an ambassador for the railway. I'd have thought the militant wings of the S&D trusts would welcome this news but there has been more collapsed schemes and curtailed ideas associated with the S&D (remember Peak Oil?) than almost anywhere else I can think of in the UK. In a world of short-termism and bumping along for the season, the MSN group are thinking pretty far ahead and I hope it pays off for them.

John Petley and 30854 like this.
  9. Tintagel

Tintagel New Member

I hope this goes well for the the SDRHT but I feel that with rising coal prices that this may be a poor move in the long run, before even considering the sheer cost of restoring such a locomotive.

A 9F isn't really suitable for such a short railway and I'd have thought purchasing a medium sized industrial locomotive, albeit without S&D cache would have been a better move, at least in the medium term.

ghost likes this.
  10. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Is that a fair criticism? I've seen several comments over the years that the 9F's habits are pretty frugal compared with many earlier designs.

Hampshire Unit and Hicks19862 like this.
  11. bristolian

bristolian Member

With no lack of respect intended, or indeed directed at those wonderful people who have contributed time and money towards the restoration and upkeep of a 'medium sized industrial locomotive', the draw of a 9F (a type which was specifically allocated to the S&D during the summers of 1960 to 1964) will be far greater amongst the enthusiast community, bringing additional bums on seats and related sales in the shop. When added to the people who would turn up to see an Industrial loco running at Midsomer Norton South, the benefits will be noted.

12. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

They may. But that equation also needs to consider the associated costs.

ghost likes this.
  13. Copper-capped

Copper-capped Part of the furniture

Wait for it….

14. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Preservation is dead , enjoy what you have over the next few years as the fire that sustained the movement from the end of BR steam is going out . What do I see on here ? No will, no drive , no burning passion , just sit behind a keyboard and moan and expect miracles to happen as some wealthy benefactor puts their hand into the pocket again and again to give you a quick fix before finding the next moan

1 - £150k for the engine is an absolute steal . (7027 in a far less advanced state is considerably more)
    2 - Statement of intent . MSN could poddle up and down its mile with an industrial for the foreseeable future or it goes , we're getting an iconic S&D engine , now lets get to Radstock, lets get the cutting cleared ,
    3 - those that remember the S&D are rapidly diminishing . What a way to have a last hurrah for them knowing there is a 9F coming
    4 - who knows what the future holds for 92203, 92212, 92214 , 7 may yet become the only working 9F in fifteen years

15. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    And if the worst comes to the worst they can always sell it.

16. bambam897

bambam897 New Member

Supporting this endeavour (since last July) and renamed thread now we all know where it is....

17. Hermod

Hermod Member

Skip the coal burning and make it fireless.
    Give it a well insulated high pressure steam container and charge with cheap nigtht electricity from aproved green sources.
    It can easily move it self, empty tender and three or four cars filled with grand-parents and -children six times three miles on a Sunday.
    Coal smell can be bought in model railway shops.
    Rebuild the tender as a footplate view platform and charge a little more.
    I have seven grandchildren.

Last edited: May 5, 2023
    Hirn likes this.
  18. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

What on earth have you been smoking/drinking???

Kinghambranch, acorb, Chris86 and 2 others like this.
  19. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Well there is/was a boilerless, tenderless 9F chassis at Barry so maybe you can make a start .......
    Ray.

20. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

CO2 powered QJ and SY in China
    https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1TJ411B7jH/