If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Whitwell and Reepham station

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by dman-lewis, Jan 2, 2010.

1. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    I think the last post about this was deleted when we updated so i shall start a new one, will be updating it with news and picture's.
    Heres a couple to start off.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looks so good in the snow. hopefully this year we will be getting the track back in the front of the station. This will extend the trip and put a resturant in a coach somewhere.
    [​IMG]
    Newly painted coach, still needs one more coat but will become the resturant coach.
    [​IMG]
    And finally the signal box.

Website -> http://whitwellstation.com/

Me on flickr, more pictures-> http://www.flickr.com/photos/39259141@N05/

2. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    What a gem! This looks to be a place that I must visit during 2010! Lovely photos of the station in the snow - thanks for posting them.

3. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    Thanks, I do my best to advertise it as it gets so little volys to help it along. 10 out of the 300 odd members help reguarly.
    Its in the north norfolk area near nnr and mn.

4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I'm going to visit next April on the Monday they are are running with Annie, Sats/Sundays i can't do

5. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
  6. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

10 miles and 20 locomotives please

(or have i set my sights too high?) :)

7. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

dman-lewis: Thanks for sharing those images with us, and bringing Whitwell and Reepham and the M & GN, back in front of us. I recently picked up a copy of "The Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway" by A J Wrottesley, (David & Charles 1970) at a heritage railway booksale, it is a rare book. I can now read up about a system that doesn't appear to have attracted much attention from railway authors. The book does contain references in passing to your station, but there are no photographs of the station.

Keep up the good work with your project, it looks a delightful rural location, and a fortunate survivor.

Regards

8. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    Dace: If your visit would be 2025 then maybe. I'm very ambitious with this this project but even I dont think that that will happen. I think someone said that it wounld happen in their life time, due to the council owning the line. Also now your post has come back about whitwell, so sorry.

Thank you 46118, I enjoyed reading the post. If you were to visit the station there are alot of old pictures in there. It was very lucky as it got raided by vandals. and some of the stations on the line have been demolished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are some that I can get hold of from others.

9. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Hi
    Had a look through your photo's. I didn't realize the size of the place was that big. Couldn't find the LNER Box Van 164745, did this ever arrive or is it still at the Middleton? There's also 2 grounded vans, a GWR Mink & a BR 12t Vanfit. Any ideas on identities for these two?
    Cheers
    Steve

10. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Many thanks for your posts and please keep them coming . Like the peak rail one seeing a project evolve actually makes me want to visit more .

I know you posted on the lost thread but looking forward what are the realistic aspirations . track and run round in the station ? , what sort of length of line ? , re erect footbridge ? and rebuild signal box with signalling ? New build Claud Hamilton ? (sorry running away now !)

11. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Alas, we're still waiting for the Whitwell guys to collect the van, despite promises that they still wanted it when I visited them in August.
    As you say, its quite a sizeable site and has lots of potential. I was quite surprised at the number of casual visitors who just popped in whilst I was there, even though it wasn't an operating day.

12. ahardy

ahardy Member

Steve,

The LNER box van is still here at Middleton

Andy

Edit - Steve got there just before me!

13. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    The two grounded vans are next to the station, acting as sheds. I did not know about the LNER box van, The last thing I heard was they were trying to get two brake vans which are at wroxham. On the BVR line. We have nothing that we could get to pick the van up, I think we have a flat bed trailer.

"Our main intention is to restore the Station to its former glory which includes re-laying of track and sidings, acquiring rolling stock and setup a museum relating to the Station and The Midland & Great Northern Railway." basically to it's 1940's look. As of now we only own the station side so the plan for a bridge and wooden hut are small.
    Are biggest problem is horse riders, because they need space to walk and run and a good ground base we cant move marroitts way over. We have been given one half of the path infront of the station to lay track.
    Goals:1 set up the sidings
    2: restore shed + our 2 other coaches (if they last that long)
    3: restore cattle run
    4: signal box
    5: track down to lenwade or reepham (reepham council wants it to reepham station)
    6: More track down to next station, more engines
    7: link to nnr

This is just an over view list there will be many things to do apart from this over the course of 2010-20 years.

'Whitwell and Reepham station is the most splendid thing happening in Britain today and should be visited by everyone. In ten short months great railway enthusiasm has done more on a shoestring budget than governments could do with millions'.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...50873,1.099298&spn=0.004357,0.013937&t=h&z=17
    We also own that liitle field next too us. on the right.

14. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    I'm going to have to pop in on my way to the NNR on the 16th/17th.

Will be doing prep work for the crossing at Sheringham!! :)

15. George A

George A New Member

college student
    you should will - suprised you havnt already! :p swear ive told you about it? lol

16. thegrimeater

thegrimeater Member

Admin
    You've told me about it and I have known about it since it opened. I usually get the train to the NNR so haven't been able to get there. I will have a nice shiny new car next weekend!

17. George A

George A New Member

college student
    ooooo thats good! :D :p

18. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    By the way were on the look out for a replica signal box M&GN, so any idea's will help. I wouldn't know what one it is but heres a pic. Hope it helps.
    [​IMG]

19. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
  20. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I see now the NNR want to build a footbridge to a similar design to that in the picture, the footbridge acquired (on site at R&W) is not suitable and costly (may now go to Sheringham or be sold I wonder?)