If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WHR Superpower weekend 11-12 Sept

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by jamesd, Aug 14, 2010.

1. jamesd

jamesd Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Any idea of what's planned for this weekend? Any visiting locos etc?

2. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    I am told LYD will be there if she has passed all her tests and exams

3. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Lyd will run its first passenger service - the special for its supporters - and will appear on a wide variety of single and double headed trains over the weekend. Action is concentrated at the southern end of the line between Rhyd Ddu and Pont Croesor. A double headed (both Funkeys) "rather large" non-stop freight train is also on the cards.

4. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    Outline details of the WHR Super-Power Weekend are available on the F&WHR website

Locomotives in service over the weekend are NG/G16s №87 and №138, pioneer Garratt 'K1', Diesels 'Castell Caernarfon' and 'Vale of Ffestiniog' - along with visitors Single-Fairlie 'Taliesin' and newly-constructed replica L&B 2-6-2T 'Lyd' (on its first operational weekend).

There will be a variety of passenger, freight and mixed trains - single or double-headed - many with a change of loco along the way..!

Ticketing arrangements for 'Super-Power' Weekend are as follows:

Normal ‘Day’ Fares apply for travel on the RhE/WHR during the Super-Power Weekend - although passengers with 'Day' tickets will be restricted to travelling on any of the three main service trains (shown with a white background on the Saturday and Sunday timetables).

Visitors who want to travel throughout the weekend should purchase one of our F&WHR Three-Day Rover Tickets. These allow unlimited travel on the RhE/WHR - as well as being required for travel on the limited accommodation Vintage and Mixed trains (shown with a grey background on the Saturday and Sunday timetables).

F&WHR Three-Day Rover Tickets are priced as follows:
    Adult £50
    Concession £45
    Child £25
    Free Child - One Child can travel free with each Adult/Concession Ticket Holder.

CRhE/WHRS Members travel entitlements are suspended for the Super-Power weekend (i.e. no Free Travel, no Privilege Rate guests) - instead members will need to buy a Privilege Rate ticket.

Privilege Rate fares are also applicable to FRS / TRPS Members, ATOC Privilege Card and ‘Y Cerdyn’ Holders.

Privilege rates for F&WHR Three-Day Rover Tickets are as follows:
    Adult £16
    Child £8
    NO Free Child entitlement (except for ‘Y Cerdyn’ Holders)

If you want to purchase your tickets in advance - please contact Porthmadog Booking Office (01766 516024) who will make the necessary arrangements for you…

FURTHER INFORMATION:

The F&WHR Three-Day Rover Ticket allows unlimited travel on both the Ffestiniog Railway and the Rheilffordd Eryri/Welsh Highland Railway on any three days of your choice between the date of issue and 25th March 2011.

The Super-Power timetables published on the F&WHR website only show trains with passenger accommodation - they do not show light engine, ecs or freight train timings. In line with normal practice, a ‘Spotters Guide’ - priced at £3 - is being produced for those who want detailed working timetables, train graphs, loco roster and stock formations.

There are still a limited number of places available for diners on the ‘Aberglaslyn Pullman’ on Friday 10th September. This train will be double-headed by ‘K1’ and ‘Taliesin’ and departs from Caernarfon at 18:30 on a round-trip to Pont Croesor, arriving back in Caernarfon at 23:10. Dining Reservations (subject to availability) can be made until Wednesday 8th September.

PLEASE NOTE: Travel on the ‘Aberglaslyn Pullman’ special is open to all holders of valid rail tickets. Although the First Class accommodation is restricted to Diners, the train includes a full rake of Third Class Saloon and Open carriages.

5. Jark91

Jark91 Member

I take it the four 'trainsets' will consist of:

WHR stock + both garretts
    WHR stock + both diesels
    vintage stock + Lyd
    vintage stock + Taliesin

Or have I got that wrong? It'd be nice if diagrams were published etc.

6. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

I think I answered those questions in my message...

7. Jark91

Jark91 Member

Whoops! Didn't spot that. Thanks.

8. jamesd

jamesd Member

I can only visit on the Saturday so I don't really want to spend £50 on a three day ticket but this restricts me to only travelling on half the trains. Will Lyd be working any of the white trains or will they just be the garratts?
    I don't understand the aversion of railways to telling people what locos will be working which trains. The W&L published a full roster for their gala this weekend on the internet, why can't others do the same?

9. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    The Super-Power timetables published on the F&WHR website only show trains with passenger accommodation - they do not show light engine, ecs or freight train timings. In line with normal practice, a `Spotters Guide' - priced at £3 - is being produced for those who want detailed working timetables, train graphs, loco roster and stock formations.

10. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

...better value than "the best part of £40 for couple of rides on a 1.5m (?) line?!"... (Don't know where I've heard those words before :wink: )

...and it can be used on any other two days of your choice until 25th March 2011 on the Welsh Highland Railway or the Ffestiniog Railway - including the FR's 'Vintage Weekend' 8th-10th October.

Does that make you a bit happier..?

11. jamesd

jamesd Member

Yes, it's good that it can be used at the FR gala and it's definitely better value than Whipsnade, which I didn't bother with. I assume that Lyd and Tal and K1 will be on the vintage trains and the garratts and funkeys on the other, otherwise there would be no point charging so much. Still not sure why this can't be communicated without having to spend £3 for a timetable and funny graph.

Is there any discount for members? It mentions concessions, are they members?

12. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Reading the website is an option...

CRhE/WHRS Members travel entitlements are suspended for the Super-Power weekend (i.e. no Free Travel, no Privilege Rate guests) - instead members will need to buy a Privilege Rate ticket.

Privilege Rate fares are also applicable to FRS / TRPS Members, ATOC Privilege Card and `Y Cerdyn' Holders.

Privilege rates for F&WHR Three-Day Rover Tickets are as follows:
    Adult £16
    Child £8
    NO Free Child entitlement (except for `Y Cerdyn' Holders)

13. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

I think I answered this question in my original message...

:nod:

14. jamesd

jamesd Member

Right, I think apologies are in order! I'm rather tired after a spending the weekend at Llanfair and then driving back to Cardiff so I'm possibly a but grumpy. Now that I've read the website properly, rather than on my iphone, it all makes sense and yes it is good value for money.

Cardiff to Caernarfon is quite a long way so I just want to make sure I can travel on the trains I want to on Saturday. I don't agree with not publishing rosters beforehand but the WHR/FR aren't the only railway to do this so I suppose I'll just have to pay the £3 when I get there.

Hopefully the weather will be ok and the event will be a success. If I see either of you there I'll be sure to say hello.

James

15. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    An online purchase option probably wouldn't go a miss for the spotter's guides.

16. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    You willing to pay for the card processing, William?

17. Idriverussell

Idriverussell New Member

You could always increase the online cost to take in account of the processing costs?

18. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Right. So the answer to people moaning about having to pay £3 is to increase the cost?

Ever consider a career in banking?

19. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

I would like to be there more than anything but having just done the Welshpool gala, SWMBO figures we have done trains for a while!

20. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

SWMBO is only an add on surely?
    Single, living in sin together, she has no option because my hobby was there before her....

Tell her that you are working away at the weekend.....