If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Windcutter Wagons

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by Flying Phil, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In fact the P & B Rly have seven 16T Mineral wagons as they have B 182568. This came from MOSI (Manchester Museum of Science and Industry), who got it, together with two other wagons from the GCR several years ago (Sept 2009).

pmh_74 likes this.
  2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Indeed and no disrespect to the P&B, loaning those six out was probably no bad thing at the time as it gave them a more certain future. Just a shame that the GCR's ambitions seem to have been scaled back from a nearly-40 wagon train to one that is unlikely to get much beyond 30.

3. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Maybe the reality of finding storage space and restoration/maintenance funds and volunteers has hit home and the GCR is cutting its cloth accordingly?

4. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

I that was the case when the loan was arranged, but the Windcutter group are making great progress these days and I'm not convinced the management now would make the same decisions.

5. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

More progress on #711 (560) as the two North end floor sheets have been seam welded and the two South end floor sheets part seam welded, with the final two stanchion repairs in progress. The two sides have also been mostly top coated, there will be some finishing off to do when the welding is completed next week.
    Having 5 volunteers at work really speeds the process.
    IMG20240710134221.jpg IMG20240710134236.jpg IMG20240710134244.jpg