If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wolsztyn 2015 - The Final Parade?

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by Sir Nigel Gresley, May 4, 2015.

1. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune

I attended the Parade on 2 May, in the knowledge that it would be a pale shadow of previous events, as Wolsztyn had only Ol49 69 (2-6-2) serviceable, but there would be Okz32 2 (2-10-2T), Tkh49 1 (0-6-0T - fictitious number) and Tkt48 18 (2-8-2T) from Chabowka, the latter bringing a special from Posnan with the intention of being in time to participate in the 4-loco parade. DR 23 1019 was due to visit from Berlin, but this was cancelled at the last minute.

Tkt48 18 arrived 4 hours late, missing the parade, as at its planned water stop there was only a garden hose available!

Fortunately, some specials were run on the preceding day and the day of the parade, so all was not lost!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The End?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for sharing these photos. The scene at Wolsztyn station shows plenty of public interest. Sadly, the steam operation at Wolsztyn has dwindled over the years, but perhaps due to political machinations and the Polish rail privatisation that is under way and seems every bit as disastrous as the British 'poll tax on wheels'. I believe that the new mayor of the town is pro- steam, so there may be hope yet.

John

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    As a fairly regular visitor in the early 2000s and having some unforgettable experiences driving/firing I am sorry to see it coming to an end. Still at least I have the memories and T shirt.
    Pity to spoil it by bringing opinions of UK politics into it....

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The situation may yet be rescued; the steam operations must have brought a lot of tourists to what is otherwise a rather ordinary town, and I don't see the Wolsztyn Experience people giving up easily.

John

5. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
  6. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    ...And if postings on the Parowozownia Wolsztyn Facebook group are correct, then they're down to none now -Ol49-69 has failed at Zbąszynek with a burst tube in the firebox. Looks like the boiler has 3, small tubes in the firebox, similar to Bulleid's thermic syphons, and one of them has failed. Next booked working is two trips on Thursday to Zbąszynek and back.