If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wolsztyn Mayday Parade 20th anniversary

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ADB968008, Apr 8, 2013.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

This year is the 20th anniversary of the annual Mayday parade at Wolsztyn.. Was it really 1993 ?

unlike 1993 when a few locals (and the shed's own drivers) were puzzled why their shed's engines were rumbling up and down repeatedly along the same track, without a train, photographed by a few photographers...

2013 will be a kin to a BR works open day with stalls, stages how's, lights and tens of thousands of people.
    For me the highlight of the show isn't the parade...

its meeting some of the same people, without accident or planning, who have been going for years.. And watching the steam hauled service trains arrive, be serviced, and later prepare and depart after the parade.

The 20th anniversary parade is planned to have a line up of 20 steam locomotives, as with every year, this is a bit hap hazard, but at least this year the effort, heart and sole seems to be going into it to make it happen... As there's only 3 working locos at Wolsztyn (well 2 actually and one "coming") there's heavy reliant on foreign and far off steam.

Confirmed for 2013 is:

from Germany: 2x BR52's double heading a tour from Berlin and BR35+BR 01 from Cottbus.
    from Wolstyn, ol49's 59 and 69, and the newly overhauled pt47 is due.
    from Chabowka is 2x ty42's and a tkt tank.
    privately is DBS recently restored 0-8-0t

on the unconfirmed list is 109.109 + 1 from Hungary, joining Austrias other restored 109.13 and 310.23.
    There are plans for 2 from the Czech Republic and two from Slovakia, and a P8. 4-6-0 from Belgium, and a long shot (I'm not sure it's even running ) the former pkp Pt47 converted to Austrian 919.138.. Polish forums have rumours all over... Though definitely not... Is the answer to anything British.

There are 4 schedule steam passenger out and back workings, 2 in the am,2 in the pm "up the branches" all will be hauled by non-Wolsztyn allocated steam, previous years has seen MAV, Hungarian or CSD slovak steam locos do the turn)
    in addition there are 2 inbound steam charters from Germany, and 2 inbound charters from Poznan... Giving 16 steam passenger workings (8inbound 8 outbound).... Last time I saw that many mainline steam workings same day, was dampfspectacle at Trier)
    There are also steam workings on the Sunday this year.

most of the times are now out there, can repost here if anyone needs them.

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

update, in true form to previous years, the wheels have come off somewhat..

Nothing coming from Austria, Hungary or the long shot Belgium.

Down to 14 engines.. dependant on a non-steam ban in Germany (one trip being a triple header !.. hmm ?), at least this time most of them are Polish.
    I'll still believe a couple of them when I see them.

3. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer