If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Wolsztyn Parade 2009

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by ADB968008, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

According to several Polish forums this weekend,

PKP Cargo has withdrawn funding for the annual May Parade.

Thus leaving either an alternate funding source to be found, paying for it "out of pocket" or canceling the event, all of which are quite short notice.
    Reading between the lines, PKP is (not surprisingly) seeking to divest itself of it's Steam Assets nationwide and obviously save on its balance sheet where ever possible.

I dont think anyone was expecing a showing on the scale of 2007, but it looks like it could go back to those of the late 90's early 2000's this year.

There is however a substantial steam operation (sometimes 2 sometimes 3 workings a on Saturdays/Sundays in peak summer) from places other than Wolsztyn (Mostly Krakow, Chabowka or Gydnia areas)

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Just got an update that Wolsztyn 2009 is on and looks to be a very good show:

Friday night is the sound and light show, (an excuse for the entire town to show up and have a party in the steam shed).

Visitors are:

Ty2-911, Ol12-7, TKt48-191 (Chabówka)
    TKt48-18 (Wroc?aw)
    GWR 5521 UK
    220.194 Hungary
    423 041 Czech Republic
    486.007 Slovakia
    35 1019, 18 201, 52 8177, 52 8079, 03 2204 (Germany).

Highlights of the day are:

5521 + tkt double heading from Wroclaw (past 2 years this has been my favourite departure to watch).
    2x BR52 2-10-0 double heading from Berlin 52 8177 + 52 8079
    Ty2 -911 2-10-0 is running a morning shuttle to Stefanowo
    03 2204 + 35 1019 Double heading from Dresden
    18201 from Cottbus .. last year came with 2 tenders.

However....i'm not sure the truth behind the following but ive been told the following:

Apprently there is some conflict forming between Chabowka and Wolsztyn, which there are claims of spare part raids on the Chabowka fleet for Wolsztyn and also their have been requests for the operational fleet from Chabowka to be permanently moved to Wolsztyn.

Chabowka is a preserved operation, and a lot of volunteer effort goes into the fleet, which is reflected in their condition, and it's apparently building some resentment from the Poles to whats seen as giving up their hardwork to a British commerical operation, which is regarded as having a very poor maintenace regime and a reputation for running the fleet to the ground.

What ever the truth, there clearly is some high emotion going on right now with some of the Chabowka people. (there being transferred from PKP to the local authority).

Apparently pm36-2 / ok22 wont be operational.

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I understand the planned high speedsteam run from Wolsztyn to Wroclaw on Sunday May 3rd has been canceled, as PKP have requested a higher than normal access charge.

08.15am with a trip to Stefanowo with Ty2-911.
    09.15am return of the Ty2.
    10.02 is the arrival of the 2x BR52's from Berlin
    10.10 sees Wolsztyn - Nowawie? Mochy with Ol12-7.. this train will meet 5521/tkt48 from Wroclaw (photo oppourtunity).
    10.36 is the other german double header 03 2204 + 35 1019
    10.51 is 5521 and tkt48-18 from Wroclaw
    11.35 is the return of Nowawie? Mochy - Wolsztyn with ol12-7
    11.40 18201 arrives from Cottbus and also ok1-359 from VIP's from Poznan.
    12.18 Poznan service arrives with Pt47-65

15.20 03 2204 + 18201 head off LE to Leszno to turn (Wolsztyn's turntable is too small, though the 2nd tender will probably turn here).
    16.05 Wolsztyn - Stefanowo with TKt48-191
    17.05 Stefanowo - Wolsztyn with TKt48-191
    17.15 departure to Berlin with 2x BR52
    17.30 Return of 03 2204 + 18201
    17.50 departure of TKt48-18 & GWR5521 to Wroclaw*
    17.53 departure to Poznan ol49
    18.40 departure to Cottbus with 18201
    18.55 departure Chemnitz 03 2204 + 35 1019

The eagle eye'd might notice there is 1 return train missing and another is subject to change. Sunday may have a silver lining after all, but at this time It's not my information to divulge... I'll post if I'm told it's ok to publicise.

Of course.. these times may still change, will update if they do.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Other note worthy items:

Ok22-31 has got a boiler extension until 30th October.
    The parade will be opened by 5521 and the MAV 220.
    Ty43-123 has been overhauled (not working) at Leszno and will arrive on first public display on Thursday, it's going to be displayed at a technical college in Katowice area, it's in a 1949 paint scheme.

NO STEAM this week on the scheduled services... everything is being prepared at Wolsztyn shed (this is routine each year).
    Friday evening 17.12 Poznan to Wolsztyn will have the final selection of contestants for the Miss Steam Shed competition on board \:D/ steam hauled.
    As other years there is the sound and light show / disco / bbq and beer tent at the shed / level crossing with the engines displayed on the turntable.
    EP09-1059 (The english BR Electric Blue EU08) will be hauled behind 5521 and the TKt (making an odd triple header).

I'll be going to Wroclaw for Thursday and arrive on Friday at Wolsztyn if anyones around, needs Polish translation or just wants to gossip over a few beers.. i'll be at the beer garden next to the level crossing on the main road friday night, in between movements and the light show / night session.

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Would you believe...

DB has banned Coal Fired steam operations in Germany due to the fire risk..

Only 18201 will now be traveling from Germany, other operations will now be diesel hauled...

7. RalphW

And we thought that it only happened here......

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

The missing train is announced...

17.10 Wolsztyn to Gydnia via Poznan and Bydgoczsz, a considerably long journey staying overnight (servicing in Poznan) and continuing on Sunday.

This will be 5521's last train, I believe the ol49 will double head with it (as it will be operating the summer services from Gydnia).

A 250 mile journey behing a prairie on a high speed mainline.

This train is not open to the general public.

9. Neohagrid

Neohagrid New Member

10. Neohagrid

Neohagrid New Member

11. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Just got back from Wolsztyn..

An excellant show, though a few last minute hiccups...

5521's paperwork was completed incorrectly, with a certificate starting in April 2009 but expiring in May 2007 instead of May 2009.. as a result PKP Regional refused 5521 on it's 17.53 to Poznan. PKP Cargo canceled it's VIP run to Bydgoszcz.. leaving Howard with a £1000 bill to tow 5521 from Leszno to Poznan and a hire fee to run the tank from Poznan to Bydgoszcz and Gydnia... I have put a report on this run in the 5521 section.

Another paperwork error saw all steam workings canceled this week from Wolsztyn until Thursday, instead of Monday.

That aside.. the crowds this year have surpassed those of last year and the year before.. basically Wolsztyn is growing 20% in crowds year on year..though 2009 maybe the final year the event is "free".

Rumours are abound that next year will have a bigger faster green engine from the UK, one suggesting it may run in from Germany on a railtour..though others say "there not paying for it"... I guess we have to wait and see.

18201 didnt take part in the parade, the german owners preferred to out there engine to Leszno before the parade began and then returned afterwards having turned it.

12. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    Just returned home - will post some fots when I've recovered from excesses of vodka/beer/sausage!

@ADB968000 Tried to find you, but none of the Chabowka crew knew where you were, and loads of English-speaking gricers got fed-up of my asking them!

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I came in on Ol49-69 17.12 from Poznan on friday arrived 30 minutes late at 19.27, then went to WE house to meet Howard on friday..(slight change of my plan due to the changes in THE plan), I was at the shed (on the MAV 220) until about midnight.
    I was quite mobile on the saturday, started at 8am I didnt quite end up at the bar as often as I wanted...the crowds were mad... I had a hard time finding my wife and she's Polish, until 11am, in fact I only got to meet up with my usual crowd once on saturday afternoon, becuase of the last minute shuffle with the Prarie I moved hotel to Poznan and went on the 17.53 with the ol49, I opted for the Sheraton in Poznan...checking in with a black face and a nice room!.. it was that or the 5.53am and my wife inevitably complaining.

Sunday I went with the Prarie to Bydgoszcz (see 5521 thread in Steam Traction), second page of the thread has the actual times / speed / load etc, it arrived at Poznan at 07.50am and left just after 08.30, headed back from Bydgoszcz on the 15.30, the other guys (Tim from the SSL group etc) went back to Wolsztyn.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=19252

I'll stick on a few of my wanderings at Wolsztyn tomorrow.
    Maybe next year we should suggest a Nat Pres meet at Wolsztyn :) especially if the big engine deal comes off ! - I hope and dream for now.
    I'm not sure if your still in Poland but i'll be flying to Rzeszow on friday 15th may and could pop by Chabowka (i'm only there for the weekend 16th/17th) and returning to the UK on Monday, though everything todate from PKP has been canceled from there due to on going "negotiations".. (two parties bartering both with no money).

14. Sir Nigel Gresley

Sir Nigel Gresley Member

Retired Soldier of Fortune
    Here are a few fots from Wolsztyn:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ADB9680008 may recognise some of these gangsters (“Mountain Men”, according to my colleague's Polski girlfriend)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Prairie & friends depart Wolsztyn at the end of the fest.
    [​IMG]

And this is why the DB wouldn't let the coal-fired loks run (courtesy of 5521)!
    [​IMG]

And when it was all over, it started to get interesting!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My colleague, Hal P, consoles himself with a Pivo..
    [​IMG]

..and is joinedby the (in)famous Andre.
    [​IMG]

15. RalphW

Pencil me in for that.....

16. RalphW