If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Working in more than one Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by johnofwessex, Nov 8, 2019.

1. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    How exactly do volunteers get started in working on a 'second' line - I know that some people work on more than one?

If they have passed out in a safety critical role (Guard/Signalman/Driver etc) how do you evidence this if you want to move somewhere else, try another line, broaden your experience etc?

Also, following in from some of the discussions on the WSR thread how might a 'Safety Related' issue be communicated to any other lines you might volunteer on?

2. threelinkdave

threelinkdave Well-Known Member

Retired
    Stratford-upon-Avon or in a brake KD to BH
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Most railways will issue some form of document, e.g. grade card. to sshow competence. Transfer training will be required. A bobby ywill have to learn each box. Drivers ,firemen and guards will need to learn the road.

There is also the trust the new railway has in the olds standards. Not all railways operate to the high standasds of some

jnc likes this.
  3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is likely that every case will be decided on its merits. Railways do talk to each other and, if Joe Bloggs works on railway A and wants to work on railway B the gaffer chappies of the two lines will often talk. The info forwarded can vary from 'he's a great guy, reliable and knows what he is doing' to 'you're welcome to him.' And everything in between. You never take Joe Blogg's word as gospel, though. Due diligence.

Wenlock and howard like this.