If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WSR GWR175 Finale - 30 Sept / 1 - 3 October

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by lil Bear, Aug 5, 2010.

1. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not much info yet except a provisional list of guests.

Return to service of 7828 and 6960.
    Visits of 44767, 5764, and 5029, with possibly 6024 and 5542.
    Home Fleet 5553, 4160, 3850 and 9351.

Any more info as yet?

2. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Should be quite a loud gala then! :lol:. A plea to the organiers, can 5764 do some proper runs please - ie full line with a decent load - and not be stuck on Blue Anchor or Norton shuttles all weekend? :)

3. thequantocks

thequantocks Member

retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    9351 ran a hot box on thursday may require lifting!
    6024 is mainline that weekend.
    5542 they say wont be there.

7828 & 6960 almost certain

4. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    It's doing 'proper runs' on the SVR at the mo. Full round trips with minimum load 6.

5. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

I'm currently on around 130 miles behind it, most of them load 8 :D Hence asking - I know how good it can be!

6. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Great to hear there's a cheeky castle going, will look forward to seeing Ben and the lads again.

Anyone know the latest progress on the 2 WSR overhauls? Any word on when running in might commence?

Looking forward to seeing the 5 too... Might have to put some effort in with the reg for it to be heard over all the Westerns though ;-)

Also, I don't suppose the triangle will be open and in use?

7. No chance, TMKs! It could be completed this winter but I gather there are no plans to pass any of the lines for passenger-carrying use.

There are worrying reports that no Quantock Belle vehicles will be in use at the Autumn Gala. No restaurant service, no kitchen facilities (for hot bacon butties). Apparently there is no demand for these services.

Steve

8. The_Mighty_Kings

The_Mighty_Kings Member

IT Senior Support Consultant
    Thanks Steve, I meant more in terms of locos being turned than for passenger use but did think it could be a little way off still.

WHAT????? No Quantocks!! Did the demand in the spring not show anything? Given the kick off on here in the Spring when it was said there'd be no Belle I thought all that would have been sorted by now. Ah well looks like my hard earned 6quid will be spent in Williton Spar again for my brekkies.... a real shame!

9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Please could the timetablers ensure that there is the minimum amount of tender first running between, say, 10am and 4pm when the light is at its best. Bunker first for tank engines is OK, but please as little tender first as possible. Also please make sure that there is no repetition of the crazy situation that occured during the Spring Gala when a loco would arrive at Minehead tender first and be turned 180 degrees so it went out on the next service tender first!

I really don't understand why the event's organisers are so committed to eliminating the on-board catering for galas when there has always been such a demand for it. I don't accept that there isn't a demand; I think that visitors have been put off from asking for catering because of the publicity surrounding its withdrawal.

Has there been any developments on the situation re wheelchairs?

Regards

10. I will pass your comments re tender-first running to the Planning Team but I wouldn't hold your breath :)

I gather the standard WSR buffet cars will be in use but no QB brekkie/lunch/tea services. The Planning Team say there is no demand.

No change in the wheelchair policy.

Steve

11. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

I have had breakfast on the QB 3 times, all of them at the final three galas when it was regular (ASG 08, SSG & MTW 09) and every time it was full, so full that in March 09 before leaving Bishops Lydeard people were sitting in the buffet coach. More people then got on at Williton and I didn't have my breakfast until after Washford it was that busy! Some people were even asked if they were catching the return service as the QB couldn't cope with demand. So where are they getting this 'no demand' from? If its from the SSG this year well no surprise, I didn't know where to go to get a bacon bap, the restaurant coach was empty and no one was around, and anyway who wants a bacon bap for £2 when there used to be a full service for an extra £5? Just a shadow of their former self the WSR Galas these days, the breakfast just being one part. :(

12. thequantocks

thequantocks Member

retired
    Here here

13. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

No demand?
    That comment probably originates from the same type of bods that apparently did those sneaky head counts on the S&D when the schools were on hols. It looks like extra cash will go into the pockets of local traders rather than the railway. Such a shame really.

Paul

14. For the record we had a full volunteer crew utterly committed to operating a restaurant service at ASG 10 but neither WSRA, SEPT nor WSR plc seem to want us to operate it. Over the 12 month period you mention WSRA banked over £7K in takings from QB gala restaurant car operations (this figure does not include QB gala buffet car takings). SEPT chairman and the present WSRA chairman have both stated there is no demand for such a service. I can only conclude WSRA must be so cash rich they do not need the profits. As far as I am concerned the gala restaurant car service is now history, at least until more enlightened management takes over. The brick wall is a bit weak now after all the head banging. I did consider asking to personally hire the kitchen car and run the operation commercially at personal risk (what risk, I here you say. Certainly not financial) but I have a rough idea what the answer would be. If indeed I even got an answer. TTFN. Barrie

15. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

Seems someone can't be bothered to ring up for some bacon and eggs (or do the QB do that?) and shunt some coaches on the back of a train. What a shame. The visitors to the WSR galas want a breakfast so why don't they provide it, when you Barrie, just showed that they can? It just makes no sense. I hope we haven't seen the end of the QB gala services, even if it may take a while for them to return.

16. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

...and the other parts are....??? I have been to the last 20 WSR galas and have no complaints. In fact I think they have gone from strength to strength. I am rather surprised about the withdrawal of the breakfast service as it has always seemed very popular but what else is bothering you?

17. malc

malc Part of the furniture

I've always felt there wss too much emphasis on "breakfas"t on the QB at galas. Many visitors will be staying in B&B accommodation and will have already had breakfast.

18. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

6024's mainline job that weekend has been cancelled. That doesn't mean it will appear at the gala of course but you never know....

19. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    WSR galas have always been fantastic, but when you keep raising the bar, it gets harder to surpass the previous effort. Seems to me that some people are taking things for granted, but losing the QB is a pity. It gave the WSR that extra bit of class, and to get a table on the regular QB for Sunday lunch you need to be quick - just realised our wedding anniversary is coming up!

20. Details are now available at http://www.west-somerset-railway.co.uk/asg.html or http://www.wsr.org.uk/asg2010.htm

- Nos 4566, 44767, 5029 and 6024 are confirmed as "guests"
    - Overhaul of nos 6960 and 7828 will not be complete - both on static display
    - "home" locos nos 3850, 9351, 4160 and 5553 booked to run
    - No 88 on standby duties
    - another GWR 4-6-0 is being sought
    - unofficially a further GWR loco has been invited but not yet confirmed

Hope folks can make it to this event.

Steve