If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Eightpot, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can see that getting abbreviated, and probably not in a way one might desire!

Tom

2. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Don't Bulleids already have multiple-jet blastpipes, similar to what Jos has a worked out for the King?

3. oddsocks

oddsocks Well-Known Member

Retired / Dodging a Coffin for as long as I can.
    Half a mile east of Snells Nook Halt. (1883-1931)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And try explaining that to a journalist from the local paper!:confused::eek:o_O:Bookworm::Stop:

mike1522 likes this.
  4. jma1009

jma1009 Well-Known Member

I have edited one of my earlier posts due to a rather unforeseen abberation.

I think Spamcan hasnt quite understood what the application of the Jos Koopmans' formula can do.

Yes, the Bulleid Pacifics had multiple jet blast pipes of LeMaitre type but they were not optimised. Bulleid did not understand these things properly. He applied the same arrangement off the Lord Nelsons to the Schools with no appreciable difference in steaming. Applying same to the Q1s made not the slightest of difference.

Cheers,
    Julian

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    I've understood it as fully as Jos has explained it but your point is?
    The Q1s had the Lemaitre exhaust from the start so no other previous system with which to compare it as far as they were concerned, are you thinking of the Maunsell Qs that had it applied?

6. jma1009

Yes apologies Maunsell Q not Bulleid Q1.

However, my point that Bulleid didnt understand smokebox draughting remains. Unfortunately Ron Jarvis and his team also got it wrong on the re-build Bulleid Pacifics.

Cheers,
    Julian

Sheff likes this.
  7. Pannier Man

Pannier Man Member

Network Rail - Retired
    6023 will be operating at Didcot's spring steam gala April 30th - May 2nd. Come and see (and listen) for yourselves.
    Since becoming Loco Manager at Didcot I've posted a lot less on this forum only sticking to the facts when I do.
    Where are we with 6023?
    I'll not dwell on the problems that have been (unfortunately publically) well discussed following the initial restoration.
    That's water under the bridge and although have taken far too long, are now resolved.
    A new group (as well as some of the original restorers) are in the process of getting 6023 ready for the main line.
    This too is taking time as the group only work once a fortnight.
    Reducing the chimney height (as well as other "tall bits") to meet current requirements has caused draughting issues.
    Jos has come forward, and I'd like to publically thank him, as well as the behind the scenes correspondence we've had, for turning things around for us from a loco that "died" when the main regulator valve was opened, to one that now livens the fire up as you would expect. My view for other locos is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" so for those other loco's that are working fine, they don't need to take the course we've had to do by necessity.
    Thanks again Jos. The final proof will be when we can carry out a better loaded test than we can at Didcot, and I know Jos is keen to be present. (Please don't even try to speculate where as this is already in negotiation and will be announced when finalised).
    However, before that we still have to complete fitting of all the equipment required for main line running (TPWS / OTMR etc) plus a list of jobs the VAB have already highlighted.
    For the "moaners" out there, if you want to come along and help speed things up, tomorrow 23rd, is another working day on 6023.
    After the May gala we have to take all the rods off so we can add a layer of white metal to the back of the centre driver coupling rod bush to compensate where the wheel thrust face has been machined.
    King rods are big and heavy so please don't moan about how long its taking if you're not prepared to help the "few" that have to attempt this feat.
    We will get there.

Robbo, eggbert, michaelh and 6 others like this.
  8. Penricecastle

Penricecastle Member

If Jos Koopmans blast pipe for Bulleid pacific's was applied to a Merchant Navy and improved the performance, think of what a potent machine it could become!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  9. meeee

meeee Member

They are two different situations. By improving the efficiency of the exhaust you are moving the loco closer to what it should theoretically already be able to do. Whereas increasing the boiler pressure and cylinder size as with Flying Scotsman, is taking the loco beyond what it was designed to do.

From a historical perspective though is improving the exhaust on every preserved loco the right way to go. After all isn't the way the a loco steams, handles and sounds as much a part of what you are trying to preserve as the colour or shape. Obviously there are some situations like this one where it is necessary and unavoidable.

Tim

LesterBrown and Jamessquared like this.
  10. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Thanks for the update Kevin - my medium term plan is to wriggle out of some other time commitments to be able to offer some help at Didcot - not that I have much to offer apart in engineering terms. That may need to wait a while until the kids are a bit older but in the meantime I am grateful for what you and all the others do to keep this heritage alive.

GWR4707 and Pannier Man like this.
  11. JJG Koopmans

JJG Koopmans Member

The issues with the Bulleid front-end have been discussed in the Bulleid thread. Could we restrict us to the 6023 here?
    Kind regards
    Jos Koopmans

12. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    Hmm It looks like I missed the shame bit. My mistake.

Anyway, I would be happy to lend a hand at Didcot at some point. I know wee bit about nuts and bolts and how they go together.

13. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Hello,
    I have spent many years and a few £££'s invested in this Locomotive.
    I think one of my photographs is on the 6023 web site!
    Well done to every body to get this far!
    Well Done.

Nick

14. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

All due respect to Mr Koopmans but a Merchant Navy is already a potent machine.

15. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Aye, an MN is good enough as it is for most purposes. However, let's keep this thread about the blue 'un...

mike1522 likes this.
  16. jma1009

With the UK loading gauge, and large boilered large smokebox locos with short single chimneys, the smokebox draughting is always going to be a bit 'iffy'using the old methods and knowledge.

Sam Ell showed all this in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The single chimneyed Kings as originally built had been running with a defective arrangement for nearly 25 years, and the Manors somewhat less in years. Sam sorted out both the above, plus numerous other locos from other regions post nationalisation. The recent reduction in 6023's chimney height upset Sam Ell's arrangement which at best was always 'right on the edge' of optimum, but better than the original Collett arrangement.

Jos's formula is dealt with in his book, and shows that the old understanding of what went on in the smokebox and chimney/petticoat pipe was incorrect/misunderstood.

Cheers,
    Julian

nickt likes this.
  17. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    Many thanks for the update. Lots of folks are hoping that 6023 will appear on the West Somerset Railway later in the year. A 10 coach train on the climb to Crowcombe would be a good test of the new smokebox arrangements ! Some high(er) speed running would also be possible between Bishops Lydeard and Norton Fitzwarren.

Best regards from the 6024 team.

David

cg likes this.
  18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Certainly more chance to obtain data than will be the case on Didcot's running line.

19. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

A rough and ready calculation for 25 mph up 1 in 80 with ten coaches gives me a figure of around 1200 edbh. Delivering that would certainly show that the draughting is working adequately, but it will need a main line test run to show whether the draughting is as good as we now hope and expect.

Spamcan81 likes this.
  20. JJG Koopmans

JJG Koopmans Member

Yeah, proof of the pudding.... However the present 6 in. equivalent orifice diameter is about identical to the original lifting orifice area in it dubious lifted condition. Furthermore the chimney is now participating in the suction process in an hitherto neglected way. So as far as I am concerned it is not speculation.
    Kind regards
    Jos Koopmans

1020 Shireman, RalphW and nickt like this.